My Chickens bed down right at the door?

Wrhensnest

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
Hello to all of my fellow chicken raisers! I have 11 chickens, 6 easter eggers, and 5 Americaunas. they are approx. 2 months old, and we have a question. every evening they all go in the coupe on thier own, as we allow them to free range during the day, My coupe is 13x4x4 which is plenty of room for all of them, but they bed down right at the door and never go all the way in unless, I go in the man door then they go to the opposite end where thier feed and water is and begin to feed. Why do they all congregate right at the door? I do not have hen boxes yet but am in process of building them. could this be why?

A big Texas-sized
welcome-byc.gif

frow.gif
I wouldn't worry about it too much .. they're still babies and will get it figured out! Is your door solid? Just be VERY sure nothing can reach in to where they are and get them!

Have fun!

28464_temp_pic_file_080.jpg

Do you have a picture of the coop? There might be something we can see from the pictures that points to why they are congregating there. How high are the roosts?

Quote:
99% of the time it's because there isn't enough light for them to see that it's safe inside and there isn't anything insidious waiting to eat them. If you go in or open up to show them it's safe, they are fine...

If you get a string of solar Christmas lights, or even better, the solar LED rope lights, you will have enough light for them to see, yet as the batteries run out each night, the birds will go in and go to sleep and not have light-overstimulation picking, etc.

Welcome, it may be because they are still young too, my 25 EE are 8 weeks (9 soon) and still clump on the floor of the coop, while in another coop my 12 week olds are now all roosting on the big girl roosts. Also the 25 EE use the roosts during the day, they just dont sleep there. I don't have nest boxes up yet, they are in production. Welcome again, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom