My chickens don't know to come in from the weather

Raylo

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2020
Atlanta, Georgia
Chicks are 7+ weeks old, and they don't seem to know to come back inside from the run.

Two days ago during the rain, the run was flooded, and they just stood around. I have to chase them down squawking to get them back in the coop.

Today I looked out and one was laying by himself on the damp run away from the others who were huddled in the cold. When I went out to get them back in the coop, it jumped up.

Is this normal? They love going outside, but don't seem to know when to come out of the rain.

Can you post some pictures of your setup?
That might give some clues as to what's going on.
Also please provide dimensions for your coop and the run.

6x4 coop over a 6x10 run

Attachments

• 20200204_084650_resized.jpg
    20200204_084650_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200204_084731_resized.jpg
    20200204_084731_resized.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200123_154252_resized.jpg
    20200123_154252_resized.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
Thank you. I hope so, as I hate chasing them down. They will get on the roost at night, and then it is much easier to put them inside.

I would think it is because they are so young and have to be taught to go in when bad conditions, probably by you physically picking them up gently and putting them at the door entrance and if they don't go in give a little push in to get the idea across to them. It may take time.
My nuts were staying out in the yard in cold rain storms before winter when their house was wide open but now that it's winter they will go into their house when its miserable out rather than stay out in it. It took awhile for them to get it mentally but they finally realize it feels better in there. I really think its a maturity and experience thing with them.
Oh also a factor is what does the leader chicken do? I have a rooster, JimFeathers, and if he stayed out, well they all stayed out.
Don't know if I helped at all but hope your babies will go in out of the elements. Look like a nice set up you have.🐔🐣🐥

Yeah, the ramp is really long and steep. They may not like it. Did I see a light in the coop? Another reason they don't go in could be because it's dark. Chickens can see well in the dark and won't enter if it's dark. Other than those two reasons I haven't a clue! 🐔

Ramp angle looks OK, but you could put a concrete block under the low end.
Also I would add another cleat between each of the ones there.
That's the perfect age for chick 'stupid' <chuckles>
Get a battery powered puck light to put in the coop,
turn it on an hour before roost time,
it will draw them inside.
Then turn off light when you lock up after dark.

Back
Top Bottom