My chickens eye is almost swollen shut.

Pretty Birds

Crowing
May 13, 2019
Maine, USA
This morning I went to feed my chickens and let them go outside. I noticed one of my New Hampshire Reds seemed to have one side of her face swollen. I didn't think much of, but then she came back in the coop, and she is missing an eye! She is acting completely normal, and none of the other chickens are bothering her. Is there anything I should do? Is she going to be okay? Would you like me to post pictures?

This morning I went to feed my chickens and let them go outside. I noticed one of my New Hampshire Reds seemed to have one side of her face swollen. I didn't think much of, but then she came back in the coop, and she is missing an eye! She is acting completely normal, and none of the other chickens are bothering her. Is there anything I should do? Is she going to be okay? Would you like me to post pictures?
How sad, sounds like she was pecked, are you sure her eye is missing? Hopefully it is just swollen shut. You will probably need to take her to the vet and get her antibiotics so that an infection doesn’t set in.

Upon closer inspection, she does still have her eye, but it is nearly swollen shut, with a dent underneath it (I assume where a chicken pecked her). It seems a little liquidy on and around the eye.
IMG_20190808_104032.jpg
IMG_20190808_104022.jpg
IMG_20190808_103428.jpg

Is that swollen area under her eye hard or squishy? I would try and get whatever is in there out. It could be fluid build up or it could be puss.

I would try and flush the eye out. Makes sure there isn't anything in there. Some saline or distilled water.

There is an antibiotic eye ointment you can buy over the counter for animals. I would get that and goop her eye up pretty good. It will keep her eye moist and keep the lids from sticking shut.

Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom