My chickens hate me!

Pics
Please someone tell me how to get my 9 pullets, ages 13-18 weeks (approx) to stop hating me. Maybe being terrified of me is more accurate-but tomato/tomato (wait that doesn't work with typing:thbut you get the point). I'm mind blown when I read about the ones of you that can just "pick them up"!!! I want that life :drool so what do I gotta do to get it? Help me out y'all! TIA :fl

A lot has to do with the breed you choose. I see a lot of Golden-Laced Polish, Golden Campine and Buff Cochin just go up and jump up and sit in their owner/keepers laps, never having been trained to do so. They just love people and affection. When I was a little child I had a White Polish hen that I couldn't get to stop following me around. She would even try to follow me when I would leave the house to go play with my friends. I would have to pick her up and put her in the pen and lock it, or she would just come along with me. I guess she wanted to get in on the games of basketball we played. Lol

YES I DO! This is some seriously great advice! And o don't want lap chickens either but I want to be able to give them a checkup, meds or take a pic of them without their lives flashing before their eyes. I'm definitely doing the facial massage thing from now on. Wonderful idea. I already hold them until the calm down before I let them go but hadn't thought about that. I just love brainstorming! :highfive:
They certainly love their combs and wattles being pet. Even my saltiest bird will calm down or even fall asleep when I pet combs and wattles. My mature banty hen ran in fear from me for a year, but this last time she was broody, I started petting her as she sat in the box and now she even acts like she wants me to hold her! Chasing chickens scares the poo out of them. But, even if I have to catch one, I get it cornered and wait for it to be calmer, catch it, and hold and pet it until it's practically asleep so that it leaves my arms with a good feeling. They relax if you cover their faces-I wrap them in my shirt or jacket(I saw this on all those animal planet shows when they have a wild bird)-it is almost instant relaxation for them. I do sit with my birds every day and give them super cool treats while calling them, so that hopefully they'll start running to me instead of away. Those Bantys are so skittish!

Three keys to your chickens' hearts:
- High value treats (live meal worms are the best.)
- Patience
- Spending time with them

Mine hop into my lap at roost time and purr. I pet and chat with them while taking the opportunity to snuggle and look them over. I have two or three that don't mind 'elevator rides' on their terms - like when they're too lazy to go up the coop ramp or need a boost to the roost.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed with some of my girls, if I go up and want to pick her up, she'll squat down. Is this something that comes with maturity? It's what they do with roosters, isn't it? (forgive my ignorance, never had roosters, not allowed roosters)
That's exactly it-they are showing submission, like they would with a rooster. They tend to be ok with being ok with being held by you when they do that squatting move.

I have a similar problem with my Blue Cochin. She runs away when I even lean towards her! Meanwhile my other hens beg for my attention. They're about 3 months old. I raised her as a day old and played with her often! The only time she'll sit with me is when I hold her in my lap away from the other chickens/coop. Can anyone help?
Is she at the bottom of the pecking order? My mature banty hen scares the poo out of all the other banties, so they are crazy skittish when she's around. Treats treats and more treats and just hanging out without acting like you're going to touch her, until she warms up. Lots of good tips from others on here as to other tactics!

She might be..? I'm not too sure because my Australorp is also very shy, but she's friendly. I'll try being with her more often but it's very difficult because she really doesn't like being around me unless I have treats, so I guess treats are the way to go!

A lot has to do with the breed you choose. I see a lot of Golden-Laced Polish, Golden Campine and Buff Cochin just go up and jump up and sit in their owner/keepers laps, never having been trained to do so. They just love people and affection. When I was a little child I had a White Polish hen that I couldn't get to stop following me around. She would even try to follow me when I would leave the house to go play with my friends. I would have to pick her up and put her in the pen and lock it, or she would just come along with me. I guess she wanted to get in on the games of basketball we played. Lol

Now that is just precious! My kids would have a fit if one of our girls followed them around all the time. .I have friendly breeds and several of mine will jump in my lap it's just how they act if I approach them that's the problem.

Back
Top Bottom