My chickens hate the snow.. Too cold?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Morgan951, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Morgan951

Morgan951 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2012
    I live in Oregon, Portland and it doesn't snow usually. We got a few inches yesterday and they won't even leave the coop. We even have a run for them, which is covered, but it was windy so it blew a bit of snow in, and they're just cold I think. It's 20 degrees, is that okay for them? Is there anything I can do? And also, since their water keeps freezing, and I have to keep getting fresh... Are they smart enough to drink out of a bowl when they're used to chicken waterers? I'm worried they won't know it's water. I know chickens aren't the smartest animal in the world... Any other helpful advice about chickens in the cold?

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Most chickens don't care for snow. It will take mine a few days stuck in the coop before the suck it up and walk around in it. Mine drink out of dog bowls exclusively. I have had 2-3 waterer split when they froze so I just stopped using them on the adult birds. Fill one dog bowl up in the morning. Either dump it at night or have a second bowl for the next day.

3. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Hi Morgan951, I am north of you by Yakima, WA. Our brds HATE walking on snow, we have 4-6" now the run is covered but some still got in. It is also only 17° out right now. They are doing fine (12 of them) other than avoiding the snow in the run. We have had some some subzero weather when they prefer to hang in the coop.

I got fed up with frozen waterers so went and got a 7 gal heated one for 49.00 that I only have to check every 3 days. I have it elevated so it doesn't get mucky. It has a plug on bottom for filling so I don't have to unplug electricity everytime.

Only way I have been able to get them to walk on snow is sprinkle straw over the top, not fully covering it very sparse cover. They investigate it then go hopping off of it, It is the first Winter with them.

Your chickens will do fine, in this weird winter we have been having, a place out of wind, food, water and the oppurtunity to talk to you while checking on them, they will be happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by