my chickens in the winter

emilyschartz

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
What would be some suggestions to keep my chickens warm during the winter and make my coop ready for winter? I have five chickens that are about six months old. Here is what my coop looks like

Make sure you have ventilation and the coop stays dry have extra DE handy is a good idea. Try putting a tarp over the run to keep it a dry so those that don't like the snow can be able to walk around and stretch their legs. There are some simple ways of making a water heater. I'm doing the deep litter method so that will keep my open air coop warm. Make sure you right now it's completely predator proof not even a 1" gap should be present all sorts of things are hungry right now.

Good luck

Sorry I'm new too raising chickens but what's the deep litter method? What's the best way to keep the coop warm because its a pretty good size coop? And ya we've made sure its predator proof just caught a cat messing with the chickens

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...e-easiest-way-to-deal-with-chicken-litter-dlm

That explains the deep litter method the best.

It would help to see more pictures of your coop.

But first and foremost make sure there are no drafts but plenty of ventilation so that it stays dry. You can heat the coop if you'd like or even insulate it but it's not necessary. If you plan on heating beware of fire hazzard. If you plan on insulate it has to be covered because they will eat it. I don't do either and they have done just fine, when I first brought my silkies home they slept in the run on night 3 and it was cold. I just put a tarp over the run so they have at least that if you they choose not to free range that day.

This is my second winter I'm fairly new but this is what I now for last winter, In addition I had chicks as well and they went out during a storm but were fully feather so they survived, and were over 8 weeks old.

But a lof of people around here and my area helped out a lot.

But if you do anything just remember keep it dry, vented, and draft free and that will prevent a lot of problems, oh I almost forgot, your roost should be 2-3" wide in cold climates. This way their toes are covered and the won't get frost bit.

hope that helps

I'll upload more pictures of coop soon. And I'll definitely look into what you said for the coop

also check your chickens combs/wattles for frost bite, (black spotting), and put vaseline on them (combs & wattles) to combat frostbite.

I also line my perch with old towels to keep their feet warm:)

Back
Top Bottom