Help!!

AndrewP07

Chirping
Aug 17, 2023
We just built a hoop coop inside our chickens run to keep a nice dry spot during the winter, and it collapsed from snow killing 2 hens. Since then, about 10 more have died. Some things we have done recently are, deworming with valbazen, and feeding them a turkey we got for free. We thought they needed some extra protein to recover from molting. Help please

Gosh, sorry. What a sad freak accident!

Did you think the hoop collapsing has anything to do with the 10 dying, as in where they perhaps stuck under it getting partially smothered?

If not, then what symptoms do they have that you've noticed?

What feed are they on?
Are they eating and drinking like normal?
How old are they?
I would check them for mites and look at their vents for any sign of abnormalities there.
Have you noticed what their poop looks like as in is it normal or different?
Was that turkey you fed them raw or cooked? Could it have gone bad?

That's tragic that the coop collapsed and killed your chickens. If the ten additional deaths occurred within just a few days of the collapse, it's likely they died from shock or injuries from the collapse or from exposure.

You don't supply many details of the aftermath of the collapse so I am forced to guess.

Gosh, sorry. What a sad freak accident!

Did you think the hoop collapsing has anything to do with the 10 dying, as in where they perhaps stuck under it getting partially smothered?

If not, then what symptoms do they have that you've noticed?

What feed are they on?
Are they eating and drinking like normal?
How old are they?
I would check them for mites and look at their vents for any sign of abnormalities there.
Have you noticed what their poop looks like as in is it normal or different?
Was that turkey you fed them raw or cooked? Could it have gone bad?
The hoop coop collapsed over 12 days ago, and the other chickens didn’t start dying until like 2 days ago. They might have been going without food for up to 3 or 4 days, and the turkey was frozen, then we boiled it, and fed it to them. Would it sitting out at room temperature all day make it go bad? The turkey was fed about maybe a week ago, and while we were feeding it, one of them already looked sickly and dying. They are on a layer mash from a local farm.

The hoop coop collapsed over 12 days ago, and the other chickens didn’t start dying until like 2 days ago. They might have been going without food for up to 3 or 4 days, and the turkey was frozen, then we boiled it, and fed it to them. Would it sitting out at room temperature all day make it go bad? The turkey was fed about maybe a week ago, and while we were feeding it, one of them already looked sickly and dying. They are on a layer mash from a local farm.
Oh, okay.

Yes, cooked turkey or chicken sitting out at room temperature all day certainly can go bad. It only takes two hours for cooked poultry to start to spoil. But if that was fed a week ago, it should have made them sick within a day or two.

So they are getting layer feed but no symptoms of what's wrong with them? Are they huddled up? Do they have blood in their poop? Are they eating and drinking?

Oh, okay.

Yes, cooked turkey or chicken sitting out at room temperature all day certainly can go bad. It only takes two hours for cooked poultry to start to spoil. But if that was fed a week ago, it should have made them sick within a day or two.

So they are getting layer feed but no symptoms of what's wrong with them? Are they huddled up? Do they have blood in their poop? Are they eating and drinking?
Poop has looked ok for a while. Some have little bits of flesh looking pieces, and some look teal. They seem to be eating and drinking ok. I think we fed the turkey on Monday

I should also add that 9 of our chickens came with our house this spring, and I knew they weren’t healthy by the way they looked. I’m hoping to somehow start over in the spring, but I don’t want to eat them, or give them to someone to offload them. Idk what to do

I should also add that 9 of our chickens came with our house this spring, and I knew they weren’t healthy by the way they looked. I’m hoping to somehow start over in the spring, but I don’t want to eat them, or give them to someone to offload them. Idk what to do
Perhaps post pictures of those chickens as well so that others can get a general feel for their condition? Eyes, combs, vents...

Back
Top Bottom