My chickens just started to lay I get an egg a once or twice a week from the 3 stay on the nest get off no eggs why?? No signs of eggs being eaten??

Jesso

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 17, 2012
My 7 month old chickens just started to lay I get an egg a once or twice a week from the 3 stay on the nest get off the nest no eggs why?? No signs of eggs being eaten??

Attachments

• thumbnail_20210314_103400-225x300.jpg
    thumbnail_20210314_103400-225x300.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Plymouth-Blue-Rock-Hens-3.jpg
    Plymouth-Blue-Rock-Hens-3.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 1
It's not unusual at all for new layers to lay on and off at first it's also winter (if you're in the northern hemisphere) so less daylight affects laying.
I have 24 hour lighting ,warm coop. the other chickens in the other pens lay good just this breed and that bunch

My 7 month old chickens just started to lay
Some pullets start to lay early, some late, even if they are the same breed. I once had a group of three that did not start until they were nine months old. Within a week of the first one starting to lay a second one started. The third waited about a month longer.

I get an egg a once or twice a week from the 3
It sounds like only one of them has started laying. Different pullets or hens can lay eggs that look different, color, shape, or size. Do the eggs look the same? You may have only one of them laying. When they first start to lay you can have weird looking eggs or their laying can be irregular. Some hens only lay two or three eggs a week. You may have one of those.

I don't know how you manage them. Could one or two of them be hiding a nest or laying in another coop?

stay on the nest get off the nest no eggs why??
Could be different things, especially with pullets. Even mature hens can go on a nest and leave without laying an egg. Maybe she thought she was ready to lay but really wasn't. I've seen mature hens do that while they were waiting on another hen to finish in a preferred nest. Before they start to lay some pullets try out nests to see if they will work when a real egg comes along. If other chickens are bullying or intimidating them they may hide in a nest. This could be other hens but is often an amorous cockerel they don't want to have anything to do with.

I have 24 hour lighting ,
Could be part of the problem. One of the triggers that tells a hen when to release a yolk is light. They need to time the release of that yolk so the egg will be laid during daytime. The triggers may not be working. It's not that unusual for a pullet just starting to lay to get these triggers wrong anyway for a while. Don't confuse them even more.

warm coop.
I don't know where you are so I have no idea what kind of temperatures you are seeing. Adding heat is probably unnecessary but it should not be a factor in them not laying.

the other chickens in the other pens lay good just this breed and that bunch
I don't know what is going on in your other pens or how many others you have. You only have three in this one, that's not enough for averages to mean much of anything. I don't see anything in what you've posted here that raises any red flags. It sounds like it is part of keeping chickens and waiting for pullets to get their act together.

Back
Top Bottom