My Chickens Killed a Cardinal

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mr. Peepers, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Mr. Peepers

Mr. Peepers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    A small bird (cardinal) managed to fly through the netting on the top of my run today. My hens chased it until they caught it. I would never have believed they could fly that well or move that fast. They then proceeded to peck it to death before I could stop them.

Anyone else ever seen anything like this?

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen mine kill a chipmunk, mice, and go after my cat... never a cardinal, but I can well imagine they would.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Wow! You have super speedy chickens!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mine have gone after crows, but never caught one.
    Think velociraptors with feathers and you have chickens. [​IMG]

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    One of my buff orps grapped a garter snake one day while I was mowing It was wiggling around the roo looked scared and let the hen take care busines just like a man [​IMG]

6. Mr. Peepers

Mr. Peepers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    My rooster lets the ladies take care of the everyday business, but steps in immediately if there's a threat the ladies can't handle. He's very protective, but just doesn't sweat the small stuff. He took no part in the cardinal murder.

7. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    I have a hen that likes to stalk Blue Jays. I'm so glad she's never caught one.

8. cgtara3

cgtara3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Traverse City, MI
    One day we heard squabbling going on in the netted pen where the chickens are. We thought it might be a chicken hawk getting a hold of a chicken. Sure enough, it was a chicken running around with a dead bird in it's beak with the other birds chasing after it--trying to get it's prize. A small bird must have made the mistake of flying in the "no fly zone" area where the chickens live, and met it's fate by being pecked to death. I felt bad for the bird. Those chickens are fast and furious!

9. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    One of my young cats followed me in the coop awhile ago and my hens tore after her. The cat was so overwhelmed it was knocked down and being pecked by six in no time at all. If I hadn't been there I think those crazy chickens would have killed her. I couldn't believe it! Hope that cat never gets in the coop without me, she's not too bright and doesn't fight back very well.

10. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    You know, it had it coming wearing all that red around chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by