My Chickens Stay Mostly in the Coop

And this is after coaxing them out with snacks and new garden dirt.
IMG_20200514_092106248.jpg

Are you sure there are no extra predators in their? Any snakes where you are?
Bought a hen that was up for sale because her whole flock was killed by predators. She wouldn’t leave the coop, so they sold her to us. She’s doing fine now. Anyway if a chickens sees a threat in or next to their coop or run they may no longer go inside or outside.

The owl is on the other side of the patio facing the neighbor's yard beyond visibility of the side facing into the yard. My wife thinks they may just be bored and quickly lose interest in whatever is put in the run.

I'm betting they got spooked by something.

Gotta tell ya....
That's a pretty small coop and run for 5-6(?) birds.
I see no vent or windows.
Chicken wire is not predator proof.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1589506514507.png

The top of the coop where it slants up on both sides is covered with fine wire allowing for air flow. They can see out (because when we peek in they peak back). I agree it isn't predator proof, but we live in the middle of a small town surrounded by houses, busy street, and not next to a forest. Not perfect by any means, but for the moment we did what we could. Will be making a separate movable run soon as possible to move them around the yard.

It looks like your coop is in a very exposed place and the only shade is inside the coop. I know my flock retreat to shady spots in the afternoon even now when temps only top out at maybe 63 during the day. Not sure where you are located but maybe it’s possible your chickens are too hot outside.

Back
Top Bottom