My Chickens Stay Mostly in the Coop

MrPappaRooster

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2020
For a few days now my 7 chickens have remained inside the coop and not coming down to the run most of the day. I don't understand why. None of them seem sick. I can coax them out for a few minutes to eat some snacks, but they will go right back in. A robin did try and build a nest in the yard for a few days, but I put up an owl representation and it hasn't tried to build again. My yard is in town and surrounded by a white flat fence. There are some dogs around the neighborhood that bark, but these didn't seem to bother them before. The chickens are about six or seven weeks old, so there would be no brooding issues. I have gem sapphire chickens. This is my first time raising chickens.

I am tempted to get them down into the run and then keep the coop door closed during the day. That doesn't seem right, but I don't know what else to do or what is wrong. The weather is not too cold or hot as it is spring. Anyone who has an idea what might be wrong or had that problem before, please help.

They have been in the coop and run for about three weeks, and had no problem the first two weeks.
It is a white vinyl fence around the whole back yard with no open slats about 5 foot 7 inches. The neighbors dogs are relatively calm and behind their own fences. The chickens do not act scared or at all panicky. They just come down and eat or play for a bit and then go right back up. They were out for a couple hours this evening at least.

no, the owl is a crude drawing opposite of the chicken's line of sight. It was done in case the robins trying to make nests on our patio was causing the disturbance.

Something must've startled them when you weren't looking, so they're scared to come out. They're still young, so give them time to get over whatever scared them... they should start coming back out on their own once they feel more comfortable.

My main concern is that they will eat and drink enough since none of that is in the coop, but below in the run. Don't want them to become malnourished because they are too scared to be out for long.

Also, that they get enough exercise.

Last edited:
My main concern is that they will eat and drink enough since none of that is in the coop, but below in the run. Don't want them to become malnourished because they are too scared to be out for long.

Also, that they get enough exercise.
Might want to keep the feed and water in the coop then.
Post pics of your coop and run so we can make some suggestions on how to make them more comfortable out there

IMG_20200514_084906009.jpg
IMG_20200514_084933126.jpg

Here are two pictures for context.

Back
Top Bottom