My chickens won't sleep on the roost

mrcush

Songster
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
Southeast Michigan
3 of my 4 hens started molting about a month ago. Ever since only 2-3 will sleep on the roost. We had a hawk scare almost a week ago and 1 of them was missing for a whole night. I have locked them in the run ever since the scare and now only 2 of them are on the roost. The others are sleeping in the nesting boxes which I don't really care for because they are pooping in them. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get them all back on the roost? I've had them for over a year and this problem didn't start until about a month ago.

Sorry for my ignorance (I'm very new to this!) but does it matter if they don't sleep on the roost? I have 5 girls who share a coop and only 3-4 of them roost whilst the other 1 or 2 sleep in the nest boxes!

Sorry for my ignorance (I'm very new to this!) but does it matter if they don't sleep on the roost? I have 5 girls who share a coop and only 3-4 of them roost whilst the other 1 or 2 sleep in the nest boxes!

Not really. Generally, people provide roosts because chickens presumably like them. They are *sort of* similar to what chickens will usually do in nature, sleep in tree branches, at least if they can fly well enough. But most people do prefer they not sleep in nest boxes, simply because they poop a lot in their sleep so you wind up with poopy eggs.

And there is nothing to apologize for. Everyone was new once!

Last edited:
Not really.  Generally, people provide roosts because chickens presumably like them.  They are *sort of* similar to what chickens will usually do in nature, sleep in tree branches, at least if they can fly well enough.  But most people do prefer they not sleep in nest boxes, simply  because they poop a lot in their sleep so you wind up with poopy eggs.

And there is nothing to apologize for.  Everyone was new once!

Thank you! I don't mind where they sleep; as long as they are happy!

Thanks everyone, I will try that tomorrow (they are already getting snuggled in tonight). And definitely claire73, don't ever feel ignorant for asking questions! I asked a lot when I was new and I still ask when I need to as you can see!
wink.png

also new to keeping chickens am I and all of a sudden one of my hens has gone to the box, I coax her out and then put a blockade up so she wont return I even see her to the roost but when I return to check on them and remove the blockade for the morning lay I find her sleeping in a corner by herself! I feel bad for her she is a buff O hybrid and the other two are RIR. im not sure if that has anything to do with it I might get another buff and even the odds so to speak. I know there is a pecking order but she is not on the bottom of it maybe she just likes sleeping by herself. however it is not really cold yet and my concern is that she might not make it through the winter by her self.

i would just let them be and they will find there own comport spot. All mine did different things when young but they all figured it out.Good luck

Back
Top Bottom