my chicks and ducklings are 5 weeks old can thay come off heat now ?

chickens&ducks_RULE

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 27, 2010
South Wales!!
hey, my 2 chicks and 5 ducklings are 5 weeks old and the chicks are nearly fully feather'd but still small and the ducks are starting to get feather's

can thay come off heat now ?

there still in my house untill there fully feather'd and big enough to go outside

thanks

~Daniel

What are the temps where you are at? I've had chicks outside on their own at that age (coyote got the mamma) and we were in the mid/upper 40's at night and high 50's during the day. I've also had ducklings do fine at a younger age and with those temps when the broody hen that hatched them lost her mind (ducklings wouldn't come out of the creek, and it made her a bit mental) and pretty much left them to their own devices when they were only 2 1/2 weeks old. The important thing is to start by putting them out for several hours at a time when the weather is good so they can adjust from the house temps. and to make sure that they have a good draft free shelter to sleep in and retereat to when conditions aren't idea.

It's tough to brood in the house--especially water fowl. The chickies can raise a lot of dust (pine pellets in the brooder will help) but the duckies get everything wet and stinky.

ETA: just re-read your post. If you're asking about the heat lamp then yes, absolutely they are old enough to do without it with inside temps. As always with the little ones though it's important that they aren't exposed to any drafts like those from an open window since that can chill them quickly regardless of the ambient temp.

Last edited:
South Wales = one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited! Truly breathtaking.

Your climate is similar to ours (and that of kittymama), so yes, you can remove the heat. I have 5 week old chicks in our brooders with 25 watt bulbs for light. I usually leave a 75 watt bulb on in the coop, hung low enough so they can get warm at night or on cool days. Ours are going outside tomorrow.

Best of luck with your babies!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom