My chicks are 6 days old now...(with pics)

purplepeep

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Northern Ontario
...and I still have all 32 of them. They all seem to be doing really well.

27555_picture_1393.jpg

27555_picture_1392.jpg

27555_picture_1399.jpg

27555_picture_1398.jpg

27555_picture_1397.jpg

27555_picture_1396.jpg

27555_picture_1390.jpg

They are so much fun! And I am starting to relax a little bit, and not worry about them so much. After all, I'm sure my grandparents didn't lay in bed at night worrying about the comfort of their chickens. lol.

Just a couple of questions though... They all seem to find their comfy spots and snuggle down to sleep around 8:30pm. When I check on them again before I head to bed they are all usually still sleeping, and when I get up in the morning at 6:00 they are usually all still sleeping. Is it normal for baby chickens to sleep all night like that? When they are fully grown will they all still sleep all night? I know that is probably a really dumb question. And another question: My meat birds (the golden coloured ones) are all really skittish and kind of anti-social I guess you could say, even though they get the same attention and love as my layers. The layer chicks are all so happy to see me when I walk in the sunroom, and climb all over eachother to get to me. They'll even sleep in my hands. Is it normal for the meat birds to be so uninterested?? Thanks everyone!!!

I'm sure one of the many experienced people who have had chickens for years can help you. Sorry I can't help you about your questions.

I wanted to comment on your feeder...I love it!!! What a simple yet GREAT idea!!!!

I'm going to make one in the morning for my 3 week old baby duck.

Do you keep the light on all night? or do you turn it off while they're sleeping? If you keep it off then its very possible that they sleep all night. If you keep it on, then they may wake up in the middle of the night while you are asleep, then go back to sleep before you wake up.

I didn't notice the feeder the first time I looked but that is a FABULOUS idea. I've been trying to figure out a way to refill without having to turn over the whole thing and you've given me inspriation. My feeder is once of those that you attach a mason jar to.

welcome-byc.gif
Beautiful babies!!! You may think they sleep all night long. I put a camera on mine hooked to a TV and could watch them and they would sleep awhile, eat, poop and sleep some more. I did not record them. I will the next batch of chicks.
jumpy.gif
love.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
They are adorable, and they look incredibly healthy and CLEAN! Do you bathe them???
big_smile.png

I am also very interested in how you made your feeder, and anything else for the babies that is working well - my bakers dozen arrive in two weeks and I am madly combing the site for all helpful hints.

Back
Top Bottom