my chicks are not interested in neither yogurt nor grapes whatsoever

Quote:
Are you by any chance referring to this tasy treat video
big_smile.png

Chicken warfare against slug kind
wee.gif

So cute...
and yes, grapes peeled and cut to small pieces. They'd peck on it for a second and chase after something else, same deal with yogurt.
Cooked rice, on the other hand, is a different story. First time they had it they chased after it like crazy.

Quote:
I don't know if it will work for your chickens but cant hurt to try...... I use corn meal flour ( Masa ) and add water and make tiny balls toss them out to the middle of the chicks and watch them bite a chunk then run around they look like they are screaming MINE MINE MINE and each chasing each other its so funny to watch.

I couldn't believe this.
This morning two girls were chasing each other and going nuts. One of them found the grape I tried to feed them last nite.
So I fed them some more and yes they ARE going nuts at it. They each had one in their mouth but still run around all crazy.
Silly birds!

Quote:
Chicks are silly things and yes they ignore something one minute and then go crazy the next. My kids did that too come to think of it. BTW, if you just want to watch them run around like crazy throw them some spaghetti noodles. They must instinctually think they are worms. I do this with my adult hens too and they turn into chicks again. LOL

I'd definitely be trying all these treats you guys suggested.
I feed them starter feed to make sure they have proper nutrition, but give them other stuff just for fun. They like millets, corn grits, cooked rice, bread crumbs grass and grass seeds, earth worms and fallen plum blossoms. So far they are not interested in cabbage, lettuce, yogurt or slugs...

If I were to raise chicks from day old again, I would like to make my own starter feed.
I searched online there are people who are doing that. Anybody here tried and have recipes?

My DH makes our feed lol believe me its a humor to this house when I see or hear the word corn my blood pressure goes up....but they love it more than store bought feed. He found a recipe so called its more math than anything you have to figure out the % of protein you want and how much what your putting in there has and calculate from that. This year he is even planting his own corn (we stopped farming some years ago now here we go again lol). We enjoy the chickens so much its worth the extra effort but with the homemade/ground feed they don't care for treats. I'm not sure if he knows the amounts anymore or just has put in head what he mixes and the amounts for his batch....I will ask him.

How old are they? Younger chicks have more trouble accepting new foods than older chicks that have been in the world longer. That seems to be the case with ours, anyways. Expose them to some grass and the outdoors (when they are feathered/not freezing cold outside) and you'll be surprised at the things they will try.

You are absolutely right!
When they were younger they only liked starter feed, millets and corn grits. Now they are more acceptable to new food.
and yes they love the outdoors, they eat fallen plum blossom, surprised me.
They should be 26-28 days old today, but one is still very tiny, i wonder if it is a he as she/he is really curious and fight and won treats all the time.

Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom