My chicks are really weird - or are they?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lbartsch, Aug 3, 2011.

1. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    I really want to give my chicks a little treat now and then. But everything I try they don't seem to like? I've tried scrambled eggs, watermelon, bread, strawberries, lettuce, and more. I've tried tiny pieces, big pieces, in a dish, out of my hand and whatever. The only thing they seem to like is grass. They'll eat that out of my hand anytime. Are they weird or am I doing something wrong? They are about 6 weeks old now. Thanks in advance for the advice![​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Sometimes chicks can be picky eaters when they are really young. As they get older they will develop more sophisticated tastes.

3. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    Thanks for that reply. So I just need to be patient. Hmmm. That is a life long refrain.

4. CityChickens2011

CityChickens2011 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Have you tried the dried meal worms. [​IMG] My little chicks love them! [​IMG] They always eat them but I just give them a few at a time.[​IMG]
    Oh yeah [​IMG]

5. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    I haven't tried dried meal worms but maybe I'll get some at the pet supply today. Was going there anyway to get crickets for the frog. Thanks!

6. meepitqueenie

meepitqueenie Gallo's Poultry Haven

May 26, 2010
    in the adirondacks
    have you tried oatmeal... my chicks love that... quick oats or rolled oats that you would use for baking

7. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    Mine really like eating dried bread out of my hand. Just gotta be patient when you start out. May have to sit still holding it out there for a little while [​IMG]

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    When folks say be patient it really means your trying gett them to do the treat thing way to early. It has been my experience that folks try and give treats to early more for their human pleasure than the chick's, they will eat what they want when their ready they just don't know yet because they are too young and your forcing them into something too early. Plain and simple JMO

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! I do think at a certain age, when chicks are younger, they are afraid of new things.....even food! But as they get older, they will try anything! LOL

10. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    Thanks for all the awesome advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by