My chicks AREN'T coming:(:(:((Got em...PICS PG 4)

Shannon's Chix

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
N.E. Florida
I have 9 chickens and ordered my first ever time from a hatchery. I ordered several weeks ago and they said they would be shipped out on 10/13. They didn't call or e-mail me yesterday so I called today and they told me that the kind I ordered won't be available until the 28th.

Were they even going to contact me??? I set my brooder up last night and was going to turn the light on this morning to get it ready for my chicks that were supposed to come tomorrow!!!

Plus they already charged my credit card...is this normal? Does this kind of thing happen often? Just curious...

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Would-be Chicken Parent,

I regret to inform you that nothing you have written surprises me in the least.
roll.png

Hatcheries seem to be very fee & easy with charging the ol' credit card and changing ship dates.
Perhaps another BYCer can list hatcheries that do not do these things...

Ohhhh...I feel your pain.
sad.png
When you're so excited and expecting, it's crushing to hear that you have to wait some more!!! I just had to wait one extra day and it killed me. I've read about that happening to people on occasion, but I don't think it's the norm. But it does give a bad impression of the hatchery, doesn't it? I guess when it comes down to eggs hatching, it's not always controllable, you know? I am sorry this happened, but you will get your babies....just be patient a little while longer...

Even hatcheries can't predict nature. Some hatches just don't develop so canceled orders sometimes can't be helped.
On the other hand they shouldn't charge your account until they are sure. Ideal hatchery in Texas, doesn't take out the money until they day before shipping. I've always done business with them so i can't say about other hatcheries.
Sorry you have to wait, i know it's a bummer.
Good Luck

i ordered from Ideal recently and had a great experience. seems others have too. 2 of my silkies were alive upon delivery but obviously weren't going to make it much longer. Ideal refunded me the money for those instantly and even sent me some advice for trying to save one of them.

they are the only place i've ordered (i just got started) but it's made me feel good about ordering from them in the future. they don't have all the breeds and varieties i want, but for what they do, they seem to be very good. and since they are in Texas they hatch year round.

ideal refunded my money on my silkie chick that didn't have the feathers on its feet... all of mine including the peanuts were all healthy and they are still doing awesome after 2 weeks

Ideal didn't take my money out until the day they shipped. Also, two chicks were DOA. They were crushed in the box. Ideal put the money for those two chicks back in my account the same day I called them.

Sometimes hatches just dont go like the hatchery plans. They take orders for what they expect to hatch. Any time you order it is kind of like a lotto. As for Ideal they are GREAT. I had an order that got caught up in shipping, 4 of 25 lived . They just re-sent my entire order and added 2. As for the money I dont think they charged my card until they shipped.

Back
Top Bottom