My chicks eyes are sticking together??????

speedy94c

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 19, 2009
they are a week old wedesday and I noticed that a couple of them had their eyes closed and wouldnt open them. Lastnight I took some warm water out there and put a drop on the ones eyes that were stuck shut which broke them loose. Tonight when I got home from work I noticed that almost all of their eyes were like that.
What is causing this???? anyone know????

Thanks in advance
Steve

I'm sure some that are way more experienced in the diseases will answer, but in the meantime..
Be sure that you do not cross contaminate any of them by working on the sick one's eyes and then using the same thing to work on the others.
You'll need to wear new gloves with each as you clean their eyes, you can flush each with eye flush from the drugstore or a very mild saline solution and apply either terramycin opthalmic ointment or triple antibiotic opthalmic ointment to keep them lubricated and prevent sticking again.
Do not use the same triple antibiotic ointment for skin as it may irritate the sensitive eye tissue.
If you can't find the eye ointment on short notice, artificial tear solution or ointment will do til you can. Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly afterwards and do not touch your own eyes or mucous membranes etc.

HTH.

Mites can do that. They bite around the eyes and then the eyes scab over. Maybe it's an eye infection. Either way, I'd get some opthalmic ointment and rub it into the eye like angelfyre mentioned earlier.

ok I went to the feed store and they told me they have had some do this. They recomended terrimycyian (spelling)in their water. I did that and put some of the terawater solution on each of their eye lids and they broke open and this morning most of them were open but a few had closed this evening so I put the solution on them and everything seems to be going well with them. I will keep a close eye on them myself.
Thanks for all the info.

Steve

Great to hear they are doing better. Keep medicating them for a few days even after they healed to make sure it doesn't recur.

Welcome to BYC btw! I meant to say that last evening but forgot and hit the submit button before I added it.

welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom