My chick's eyes won't open...

Jul 26, 2022
West Virginia
So i just hatched out some chicks and their eyelids look like there wasn't even a possible for them to open and 3 out of 7 have this and i am so sad... I think i might have done something while incubating... i really don't know what i could have dome but my first batch none of mine had this. I feel horrible......
I don't think there is any way to fix thees ones but i would like to know how to prevent this ( if i can)..... And i have incubated the same every time.

So i just hatched out some chicks and their eyelids look like there wasn't even a possible for them to open and 3 out of 7 have this and i am so sad... I think i might have done something while incubating... i really don't know what i could have dome but my first batch none of mine had this. I feel horrible......
I don't think there is any way to fix thees ones but i would like to know how to prevent this ( if i can)..... And i have incubated the same every time.
Sorry for your experience. Did they hatch on day 21? How long has it been now?

I like the way sourland is thinking, good advice! 🥰

My first thought.. missing eyes is usually too high of incubation temperature.. any possible spike or miscalibration (must be checked each time), hot spots in the bator?

IF their eyes truly won't open.. a sharp pair of scissors to neck usually causes cervical dislocation and immediate death/euthanasia. The head doesnt usually come all the way off but it may. Some twitching may occur and does not indicate still suffering.

My favorite *technical* hatching resource has POSSIBLE causes of embryonic mortality according to what day they quit as well as other specific hatch anamolies seen starting around page 51 ish of the following link..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

Quick look through that link indicates other possibilities not mentioned already could be insufficient oxygen early on.. say vents closed. Or vitamin A deficincy in hatching egg.

:fl

Sorry for your experience. Did they hatch on day 21? How long has it been now?

I like the way sourland is thinking, good advice! 🥰

My first thought.. missing eyes is usually too high of incubation temperature.. any possible spike or miscalibration (must be checked each time), hot spots in the bator?

IF their eyes truly won't open.. a sharp pair of scissors to neck usually causes cervical dislocation and immediate death/euthanasia. The head doesnt usually come all the way off but it may. Some twitching may occur and does not indicate still suffering.

My favorite *technical* hatching resource has POSSIBLE causes of embryonic mortality according to what day they quit as well as other specific hatch anamolies seen starting around page 51 ish of the following link..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

Quick look through that link indicates other possibilities not mentioned already could be insufficient oxygen early on.. say vents closed. Or vitamin A deficincy in hatching egg.

:fl
Thank you for the information. And i wouldn't think so. i checked multiple times a day and nothing out of the ordinary. And my vent was always open.

Back
Top Bottom