My chicks hate me...

Mine do not want to be touched while out of their run. If I am sitting in or out of the run one will sit in my lap.The others may walk around at my feet but all will fuss if I try to pick them up but only one or two try to get away. A few days ago I moved and startled one. She immediately jumped back then jumped towards me with her neck stretched up and chest puffed out. I poked my finger at her and she jumped back again and then came back for more. We went back and forth for about a minute doing this. I was about to roll on the ground I was laughing so hard. She let me stroke her neck after our little game without fussing.

RonC, I read that and cracked up! I love it! Some chickens have the best personalities!
To me, they are just small cute dogs that make me breakfast :)

Im going through the same i have 1 14 week old red Silkie, which follows me everywhere and attacks my feet so inside she/he warms up to me but when its outside it just wants to beleft alone and eat the bugs. my 4 chicks 3 weeks old want NOTHING to do with me, and won't accept treats just run screaming bloody murder inside or even out in the coop.
I don't want them to be skiddish rather come running when they see us as i have a 4 year old son and well lots of neighbor kids that love the chickens too.

Any suggestions as to what to do? The 14 week old also picks onb my lil ones so i have them seperated till they are bigger and can fight the bigger one.

However, they don't seem to mind being held, except for the two that almost scream at me when I grab them.
Hmm, let's see. A 'thing' 3 times their size and attached to something 300 times larger comes out of the sky to grab them. No momma to protect them from the predator, no where to hide and they get afraid.

Sound like smart chickens! I don't have my first chicks yet, but with any animal (even human animals), you have to put yourself in their place.

My 2 week olds are terrified of me, but the single 3 week old has figured out that I bring treats and she runs over to peck my fingers when I lower my hand - they love apple, I cut it in half and core it, place the 2 halves in the brooder - instant piranhas!

Their favorite - cottage cheese! It was funny watching them the first 2x they had it. Grab a bite and run around with it all over the beak! Now they chase each other and try to steal it and clean each others' faces.... very entertaining!

My juvies get a mix of cottage cheese and plain oatmeal, makes it go further, a little easier to eat and of course, tasty. The little ones can't eat the oatmeal, yet.....

Im going through the same i have 1 14 week old red Silkie, which follows me everywhere and attacks my feet so inside she/he warms up to me but when its outside it just wants to beleft alone and eat the bugs. my 4 chicks 3 weeks old want NOTHING to do with me, and won't accept treats just run screaming bloody murder inside or even out in the coop.
I don't want them to be skiddish rather come running when they see us as i have a 4 year old son and well lots of neighbor kids that love the chickens too.

Any suggestions as to what to do? The 14 week old also picks onb my lil ones so i have them seperated till they are bigger and can fight the bigger one.
It's up to you about having them seperated. I once brought new chicks into the coop, and my older one's bullied them for a couple of days, but then they got along just fine, they were even sleeping together!
On the OTHER hand, I just got some 4 week old Polish chicks, and one of my older silkies went balistic and deprived them of food and water, and tore off one of the Polish chicks tail!
th.gif

And I am discovering that young chicks just take a LONG TIME to warm up to me. Around 2 months is when they are truly comfortable with me...so I'm trying to be patient.
Don't worry, my 2 week olds run around sreaming bloody murder when they see me too.

Back
Top Bottom