My chicks just started pulling all of their food out of the feeder

Ana Robin

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Good morning!

I have chicks that are almost 5 weeks old. They are about to make their maiden voyage to the coop this next week, but I've noticed that they are wasting a majority of their food. We have the basic hanging feeder with slots but it's not hanging, it's just sitting on some bricks for a little elevation. Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I'm watching in horror as they waste all of their organic feed.

On a side note, we started them with Eden Feed mash but North40 can't seem to stock it anymore, so we switched to Nutrena? Organic crumble and mixed it in with the mash so as to transition them. Could it be that they don't like the new feed? Trying to shoot for a minimum of 20% protein because we fed our last round of chicks Purina and ended up with a terrible feather picking problem. Had to start over with a new round of chicks.

Lastly, would love ideas for a space saver feeder design for the over easy coop (XL for 16 birds) would be wonderful. Looking to maximize their roaming space inside the coop, as our winters here are long.

Sorry for so many questions and many thanks, in advance!

Ana

Attachments

• 20210619_064247.jpg
    20210619_064247.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210619_064247.jpg
    20210619_064247.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 9
Good morning!

I have chicks that are almost 5 weeks old. They are about to make their maiden voyage to the coop this next week, but I've noticed that they are wasting a majority of their food. We have the basic hanging feeder with slots but it's not hanging, it's just sitting on some bricks for a little elevation. Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I'm watching in horror as they waste all of their organic feed.

On a side note, we started them with Eden Feed mash but North40 can't seem to stock it anymore, so we switched to Nutrena? Organic crumble and mixed it in with the mash so as to transition them. Could it be that they don't like the new feed? Trying to shoot for a minimum of 20% protein because we fed our last round of chicks Purina and ended up with a terrible feather picking problem. Had to start over with a new round of chicks.

Lastly, would love ideas for a space saver feeder design for the over easy coop (XL for 16 birds) would be wonderful. Looking to maximize their roaming space inside the coop, as our winters here are long.

Sorry for so many questions and many thanks, in advance!

Ana
At about 5 weeks old the don't need the heat lamp anymore.

In my experience, there is always waste with crumble style food. At any age they bill it out, even scratch at it. I probably have like 50 lbs on the floor of the coop right now under the shavings 🤦‍♀️ (maybe not that much, but a lot!). My feeders sound like yours, and they are hanging. Last year I switched to pellet style for the adults, and there’s so much less waste! Unfortunately that isn’t an option for chicks, so basically you are going to get waste.

I have read here and there about different tactics to reduce waste that have worked for others … if I recall, 🤔the style feeder where the chicks have to stick their head into a slot/opening reduces waste? Or constructing some sort of catch tray underneath the feeder and pouring it back in?

For 13 years I have used ceramic chamber pots. I get chipped ones on Ebay pretty cheap. They have kind of an hour-glass shape and I fill them 1/2 way. I start them young. I have rarely had a problem with feed on the ground. They do not beak it out or waste any.

Pretty normal for chicks to waste feed (my clean up method - I unleash the hens on it and they clean it up for me in 30 min or less) but since you're switching feeds right now and have both in the feeder, I would wager that's contributing to it even more as they're possibly rooting around for the feed they're used to.

Back
Top Bottom