My Cockerel Purred Today!

rebel-rousing-at-night

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 16, 2010
Appalachian Rain Forest
Hi All,
I don't have a lot of experience with Cockerels/Roosters but I'd swear my Blue Copper Marans cockerel was purring today.I just got chickens again about 18 mos. ago.I kept an EE cockerel but this summer he started coming after me so he had to go.I kept a blue copper Marans cockerel from chicks hatched the first of May this year.Now my EE never did this but this morning I was out with the chickens.Their house is also my rabbit house and I was out feeding.I was just inside the house when I started hearing a noise I had never heard from any chickens I've been around.I thought what and who was that?I looked out the door and my Marans cockerel was bowing his head up and down and I'd swear he was purring!My NHR and BCM pullets were with him at the time and were taking it all in too.It was like the pullets were the Queens and the cockerel was saying "Yes my Ladies yes,anything you want.I'll even Purr for you too."

Is this a common behavior that I've just never witnessed or what?I really liked seeing it and hearing it too.It was cool!

Who else has chickens that purr?

My silkies purr, I have one with leg problems, and I bring Gimpy in and give him Reiki treatments. He takes the treatments almost like a human; he walks around until he is comfortable, and I will place my hands around him in a circle and he will scrunch up until his backside in in a hand and then he just lays there receiving Reiki any were from 10-20 minutes and then he will start purring. He purrs for as long as 5 minutes before he gets restless and wants down. All the Silkies purr when they are being held, I understand that is pretty common.

I have a broody who was purring after chicks hatched. It was an adorable sound to hear coming from her. It either meant "I am warm my hatched chicks are safe and I don't feel threatened" or "OMG... I have chicks! Now what do I do?"

My chickens purr when they are settling down to sleep and I started purring back to them
smile.png
Now if one is upset I "purr" and it calms them down.

Back
Top Bottom