My Colored Ranger ~vs~ X-rock Experience

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Salt and Light, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    I've raised 3 batches of Cornish X-rocks. I am currently 5 weeks into my 1st batch of Rangers from J.M. Hatchery.

Hands down, the Colored Rangers are much more enjoyable to raise. They really do range MUCH more than the X-rocks. Despite having free range access, the x-rocks spent way too much time in the coop and were filthy nasty birds.

The Rangers are definitely slower to develop and it seems like they eat a ton of food, but for ME, they are proving to be the better choice.

Just thought I would share my experience in case anyone was considering Colored Rangers.

2. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    Quote:Mine at TWO tons. [​IMG]

But seriously, I had a very positive experience with them. I cut up some of them last week, and we ate some legs and thighs last night. They were oven-fried. The taste was incredible, but the legs are definitely a bit harder to eat. For me, that's a non-issue, however. I don't mind a bit of extra chewing if it tastes that good.[​IMG]

I plan to raise them again, but I will also certainly be doing the cornish cross as well.

3. Kansas Chicken Mama

Kansas Chicken Mama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2008
    St. Paul
    I'm planning on trying Rangers next, I'm not liking the Cornish xs and Cornish Rocks I'm currently raising.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by