My coop and run in winter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by roosmom, Dec 27, 2008.

1. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    Just wanted to show pictures of my coop and run. The coop has a window in it. The run is enclosed (almost all) in plastic to cut down on the wind and there is a blue tarp over to keep the snow out
    [​IMG]

When the temps dropped to -18 I lowered the ceiling in the coop and bought a red heat bulb, the temps stayed that way for a few days
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the chickens in the run, Notice the plastic ends so they do get air flow
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    The girls look cozy and warm underneath there. I bet the plastic helps a lot of keep the surface of their run dry. Thanks for sharing!

3. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Thanks for sharing your pictures! I have also lowered the ceiling in my coop but I used blue styro insulation and covered it with cheap paneling.

As for the outside coop, I did buy a big tarp but have not put it up yet. Im affraid of the snow/ice build up. I think I might copy what you did and put some heavy plastic on the sides to prvent the wind flow.

4. roosmom

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    Sunnydee, Can you see the three bumps in the top of the tarp? I have three legs helping to hold up the tarp in the run. I was also worried about the snow build up but it hasnt been too bad. I have cleaned the tarp off three times since snow started falling this year.
    As far as the plastic around the perimeter goes, yea, it sure does help take the brunt of the wind off. I did leave some open so they could have fresh air.

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Man you guys have a lot of snow [​IMG]

Omran

6. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Oh..now I see that! And here I was thinking you were right there with every snow storm able to clean it off. That might work here...I will have to give it some more thought. I am often away for 10 plus hours a day...If we had a big storm...that could add up quickly!

7. tailsnfeathers

tailsnfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Newberry,Fl
    SNOW? its 77 here:D

8. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

roosmom,

How does the tarp work on keeping the snow in the run down? We have a metal roof covering the run, but we are considering "tarping" the sides. Is it worth it? As you can see we are on Lake Superior and get ALOT of snow. But you'd know all about that being from the UP. [​IMG]

Up here I worry more about the girls not getting out and being "cooped up" for a couple of months. They would spend more time out if it weren't for the feet of snow in the run.

So, do the tarps work that well? We've also considered the temporary portable garages, but they are way expensive. But anything for the girls..............[​IMG]

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ma

9. AmazonDragon

AmazonDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Looks like you made a nice set up there.

10. roosmom

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    I do not want anyone to get the impression that the tarp over the run is all that is there.
    Under the tarp is a very rigid black snow fence. That helps with the snow load, a lot! That helps to support the tarp between all the internal supports. Here is what the run looked like before I put up the tarp.
    [​IMG][/img]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by