My coop and run in winter

roosmom

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
upper peninsula
Just wanted to show pictures of my coop and run. The coop has a window in it. The run is enclosed (almost all) in plastic to cut down on the wind and there is a blue tarp over to keep the snow out
thPdr_0947.jpg

When the temps dropped to -18 I lowered the ceiling in the coop and bought a red heat bulb, the temps stayed that way for a few days
Pdr_1022.jpg

Here is a pic of the chickens in the run, Notice the plastic ends so they do get air flow
Pdr_1020.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your pictures! I have also lowered the ceiling in my coop but I used blue styro insulation and covered it with cheap paneling.

As for the outside coop, I did buy a big tarp but have not put it up yet. Im affraid of the snow/ice build up. I think I might copy what you did and put some heavy plastic on the sides to prvent the wind flow.

Sunnydee, Can you see the three bumps in the top of the tarp? I have three legs helping to hold up the tarp in the run. I was also worried about the snow build up but it hasnt been too bad. I have cleaned the tarp off three times since snow started falling this year.
As far as the plastic around the perimeter goes, yea, it sure does help take the brunt of the wind off. I did leave some open so they could have fresh air.

Quote:
Oh..now I see that! And here I was thinking you were right there with every snow storm able to clean it off. That might work here...I will have to give it some more thought. I am often away for 10 plus hours a day...If we had a big storm...that could add up quickly!

roosmom,

How does the tarp work on keeping the snow in the run down? We have a metal roof covering the run, but we are considering "tarping" the sides. Is it worth it? As you can see we are on Lake Superior and get ALOT of snow. But you'd know all about that being from the UP.
smile.png

Up here I worry more about the girls not getting out and being "cooped up" for a couple of months. They would spend more time out if it weren't for the feet of snow in the run.

So, do the tarps work that well? We've also considered the temporary portable garages, but they are way expensive. But anything for the girls..............
roll.png

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ma

I do not want anyone to get the impression that the tarp over the run is all that is there.
Under the tarp is a very rigid black snow fence. That helps with the snow load, a lot! That helps to support the tarp between all the internal supports. Here is what the run looked like before I put up the tarp.
11408_pdr_0688.jpg
[/img]

Back
Top Bottom