my coop and run

I debated a long time with myself about whether to use the space under the coop as run or storage. In the end i took a bet each way.

First thing I did today was to wall in the storage space. I confess to purchasing a metal wall stud to mount the polycarbonate. In my defence the polycarbonate and screws are from a previous job.

The rest of the day was spent cladding. It is starting to take on its final look. All the roofing is discards from friends or building sites. Because it is a little scrappy, I will need to use some pop rivets to stitch it together a bit. At this point I have two doors to clad, a roof peak, and some angle for the corners and will be done with the iron.

Cheers paul

This is the state of the project this morning. I put plastic angle on corners to tidy up and stop drafts. More around the back vent shutter (cream), this faces into the prevailing wind. I have started covering sharp edges. The back permanent vent can be seen above. The whole back top is covered by avian mesh (hardware cloth), giving huge ventilation when hot, and a snug lower half when cold. Canberra ranges from -5c to 43c.

Also got the netting started. 1.68mm belly wire is in place and I am also using the same for tie wire.

At this stage I have sore hands from nicks, cuts and scratches, not to mention pre call uses from the wire. I am looking forward to the project being finished.

Cheers paul

Pretty much finished now. Just got to finish the cupboard under the coop and some bits and pieces. Moved a cubic meter of sand in yesterday and the chicks are now spending their days in there.

As is something of a tradition on backyard chickens, i added an aporopriate sign:a fray bentos canned chicken pie. Fray bentos for those who don't know are a traditional canned meat manufacturer. In WW1 there was a famous tank called fray bentos.

The coop is on the small side. The roost is 70mm with rubber covering based onhttps://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=w...bm2oDOdwDqB8KLuYQ&sig2=zZUpaqnxOn3ZpYgAdf_mWQ

The two tubs will be used for nesting. I may need to add curtains later.

Ventilation is provided by a slit in the roof and two big triangular openings. There are also two closable vents. It gets both hot and cold here in Canberra. This allows some flexibility based on temp.

A nice long ramp completes the enclosure.

Cheers paul

Back
Top Bottom