My coop burned down

What kind of water heater did you use?
I'll see if I can't find the box, but what seems to have happened is that it melted through the bucket and caught the straw on the ground on fire, maybe the water was all out?, everyone was kind of busy so unfortunately we hadn't checked on them in a little while.

I'm so very sorry for your loss and so glad your birds are safe. You were very lucky. High winds could have spread the flames to other structures.

Hindsight is always wonderful but the truth of the matter is that there for the grace of God go all of us. Our coop is a converted old shed. The key word is old but it is insured as an outbuilding. Something to consider with your next coop especially if you go with a shed or permanent building.

Also, I had rambunctious bantam roosters break out a regular light in our coop. Why they decided to fly as high as the ceiling, I'll never know but it taught me a lesson. Wire cages around all light bulbs.

Good luck with your future build. Lousy time of the year to be having to build, but you have some good solid ideas to build on plus you now know how to fireproof your new coop.
I converted an old shed to our chicken coop. It was listed as one of two outbuildings when we bought our property. I wonder if it's covered by our home owner's insurance. I'll have to ask my broker about that. I'm glad you mentioned this.

My outbuildings are all on my farm policy, and last summer when a big spruce fell on the coop and punched holes in the roof, it was all covered. :wee
Years ago, I found that my homeowner's policy would NOT cover my new barn, or horses, or any other livestock. Fortunately before a disaster struck! It would cover a garage, but not a barn!!!
Do check with your policy before you need it!
Mary

:bun
Yeah, I am so thankful that all my chickens were okay, but the structure that we worked really hard on was just a pile of flaming rubble :(. We had to desperately shovel snow onto it to put it out, but it was just sad to see everything we had built in a small pile on the ground. As for advice on what to do with the chickens i'll take it but I mainly just wanted to inform everyone to what had happened.
Sorry for your troubles. But thank God your precious babies are ok.

I'll see if I can't find the box, but what seems to have happened is that it melted through the bucket and caught the straw on the ground on fire, maybe the water was all out?, everyone was kind of busy so unfortunately we hadn't checked on them in a little while.

Sounds like the thermostat contacts stuck closed. Most I've seen shut off at 45°F or near that. I have landscaping rocks around mine and filled that with pea gravel.

JT

Related anecdote;
Two years ago I called Travellers to get a quote on insurance for my farm. Horses, cattle, chickens. When I mentioned 'chickens' the lady on the phone immediately said that "we don't insure farms with chickens"!!!
She didn't care if I had two, or two million; just "NO chickens"!
Anyone else have this experience? I was speechless, and never called them again.
Mary

Lowes has good deal on white Tuftex PolyCarb 2.17-ft x 12-ft Corrugated PolyCarbonate Plastic Roof Panel. Hopefully, you can rebuild again. I am going with this concept design next spring.
Coop1.png

Back
Top Bottom