My coop burned down

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Great Eel Man, Dec 8, 2017.

1. The Great Eel Man

The Great Eel Man Chirping

Nov 19, 2017
    Leduc County, Alberta
    Yeah, I am so thankful that all my chickens were okay, but the structure that we worked really hard on was just a pile of flaming rubble :(. We had to desperately shovel snow onto it to put it out, but it was just sad to see everything we had built in a small pile on the ground. As for advice on what to do with the chickens i'll take it but I mainly just wanted to inform everyone to what had happened.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    So sorry to hear this. Glad that your flock is okay. Were you heating the coop ?

3. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Pullarius

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry. :hugs

4. CapricornFarm

CapricornFarm Merry Christmas!

May 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    He had been but was going to stop when people told him it wasn't needed. Maybe they were sick?:idunno

5. The Great Eel Man

Nov 19, 2017
    Leduc County, Alberta
    We really don't know what caused the fire, it could've been the heat lamp, the water heater, or an extension cord problem but what i do know is that a lot of money got washed down the drain.

6. The Great Eel Man

Nov 19, 2017
    Leduc County, Alberta
    the extension cord alone was over 100 dollars!

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    So very sorry.

CapricornFarm likes this.
  8. I'm not really sure what you can do :( I'd try getting them to a space where they can stay temporarily - if you have garage space I'd cover the floor with cardboard and get a temporary chicken tractor to keep them in. Something that they won't fly out of, but is also cheap and portable. If anyone you know could lend you some space that would be great.

I stopped using heat lamps after one of my chickens knocked the bulb out of it (the lamp was off). Unfortunately though, all heating is expensive. My alternative heating probably cost around US $300. If you'd like I can post on what I did.

9. You could also move it to areas of short grass for grazing. I'd attach wheels to whatever you'd use as a tractor. The chickens are less likely to escape if you lift the tractor a small bit and move it that way.

10. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    So sorry for your loss. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: