My coop burned down

I like the idea, but like you said, yeah it gets pretty cold like -40F, I think i'll just make sure to prevent the fire from starting as best I can, like what blackdog said by putting a wire frame at the bottom of the bucket and fully securing the heat lamp (If we choose to use one again) But I do want to use a heat lamp just to make sure that they can't get any more frostbite.

Same tactics same results I say.

Good luck

Gary

I have not plugged in the heated dog bowl, but have the jug( with Salt water in it) in the bowl.
Been under 20 degrees out and it is not frozen. Some slush on top but hens peck it .
This is inside the coop, for those that don't have electric or want to not have a cord.

Once it gets colder you would have to bring out water every morning.

Well, like I said before, I think my best plan at this point is to build a small coop in a space in my garage over the Christmas break (So they don't have to deal with any more cold) and move that out in the spring and see if I can't get a better system set up. After all our old coop was kind of a little too crazy design wise (it was essentially a pentagon) and I'd at least like to see this as an opportunity for improvement.
I hate to see it happen to anyone. I wish you the best of luck. Im saving right now to make my new Chicken Ft. Knox. I have about 1000 more dollars to save and it will be ready to build. I am using a temp coop, so I feel your pain (kinda).

As so many others have said such a tragedy, yet such a blessing that your girls were able to stay far enough away from it not to be harmed. I live in Kansas and dont experience extreme cold often but as many others have said I have elected not to heat. I have also ran a heavy duty extension cord to my coop to plug in a heated water from K&H which is thermostatically controlled I have had great luck with this heated watered so far K&H Pet Products Thermo-Poultry Waterer. By looking at your pictures it appears the extension cord was only 16 gauge. That may have been too small to handle the load you were putting on it. Next time you need to figure what your maximum amp load is and ensure the cord can handle it also ensure the cord is rated for outdoor use. Extension Cord Info. I would personally would go no smaller than a 14 gauge, but definitely compute your load. I am using a 100' 14/3 Rugged Outdoor Lighted Grounded Pigtail Power Cord - 14AWG 125Vac 12Amp 1500Watt Watt's Wire.

Just so grateful nobody was hurt. Good luck with the new Coop build. And thanks to the others for the mention of insurance. I just got my chickens this year and need to check and see if my coop and run are covered from damage under my homeowners policy.

I am happy to say that my Uncle has bought us a very nice chicken coop as a present, I am so happy that we have another coop now , and its a nice one too
What a blessing. We would all love to see it when you have time to get some pics of your girls enjoying their new home. It is such a great feeling to have a close and loving family.

Back
Top Bottom