My coop is ghetto ugly....Help! Pic.

holliewould

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Planet Earth
This was gifted to me by the moving neighbors. It's 6 feet long, 4 ft wide and 4.5 ft high. I like things to be blingy and this is not doing it for me or the ladies that live in it. It's also an eyesore and my garden hates me. So I need to put on a roof to start. I have not the slightest idea how to build a roof. Now, I have tons of tools that I don't know how to use. I might be able to get some neighbors to help me depending on how much beer I can supply. Does anyone have some sort of instructions? I do know what a nail is, and I know what a screw is. How in the world do I build a roof? Oh, and I am in possession of a tape measure, drill, saw, and a hammer. Thanks for any help anyone can give me. Pics below.

CIMG1197.JPG

Need to get a slant on it. Higher in front than in back, so rain will run off. Perhaps a 2 X 6 set on edge along the front edge, then the plyboard (maybe not a warped piece?) and some tin or shingles on the plyboard to turn water. The slant should make the rain run off. Extend the roof out 6 inches or so past the walls on front and back. I am not a carpenter, tho. Where are some of you coop builders out there? Help us out.

Yes, definately need something on top that will shed water. What state are you in? I think you would need to put a solid back and at least one solid end on the coop, instead of just the wire, unless you are in a really hot climate, so the chickens will have some protection from wind, blowing rain, etc.

Oh it will get a paint job alright Linck. Little Sister, this coop cramps my style. It needs much work, starting with a roof.

So Judy, I'm on an island in south fla. I think I understand what you mean by putting the 2x6 up front to raise it. I actually think I get the idea. You are awesome, thanks for the idea.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom