My coop is ghetto ugly....Help! Pic.

It has such potential...a real fix it up! I'd start with some fresh paint, nail a couple boards on the front top to elevate for a slanted roof. cover with plywood and shingles for a traditional roof, or make a sunroof from that wavy translucent plastic roofing material (sorry i can't remember what it's called). Perches, nest boxes......I can see it now
lol.png

Sorry, got a little carried away.

Well, if it were mine and I wanted to fancy it up (which I wouldn't because it looks completely functional to me and I would be fine with that)... but if I WAS going to pretty it up, I would paint it some kind of neutral color, like off-white to tan. Then paint/stencil some vines and ivy "growing" up the sides. Then, use a corner bracket like this on the top two corners:

GD0075A.jpg

OR, if you wanted it to look more barn-ish, you could give it a fresh coat of red paint, make a "Z" design out of wood, paint it white, and put it on the door and use some black metal brackets and hardware like this to dress it up:

barcelona_corner_bracket.jpg

ORRRR.....

You could buy a six foot long length of two foot tall decorative fence and nail that up to the front on the outside. Like the fence in front of this house: Paint it a complimentary color to whatever color you choose for the coop. (maybe green coop with yellow fence, and you could hang a planter of flowers from the fence.)

fence4.jpg

BUT neither of those options sounds really blingy to me. Bling = flashy in my book. If you want flashy, paint it purple. Use gold or silver (or chrome) hardware (handles and hingest, etc.) Get you some glue-on rhinestone baubles and hang a disco ball in it.

I really can't help you with the roof.

Cassandra
Sorry for the big pictures. I stole 'em from the interwebz.

You may want to box in their roosting area for extra warmth and protection, especially if your nights get chilly (3 or 4 sides, depending on climate).

Just some thoughts. Have fun and what a nice gift!
smile.png

Well, most of my gardens are junk gardens. very blingy, shiny, and not farm like. I'm into tacky looking things. Lots of gazing balls, bottles, glass, fairy gardens, pet rocks, totem poles, and such. Hahaha. I can't wait to attack this project. you've been so helpful. I now know what to do about the roof. Thank you all very much
smile.png

I could send you pics from my phone, no clue how to post here, I allready asked....Anyways, they show what the books say is good construction. You allready have more tools than I do for carpentry.

Paint it, add a few decorative hardware bits and put on a shed roof - a sloping piece of wood, as has been mentioned. Use google to search that term, "shed roof."

A few 2 x 4's and a piece of plywood will do it. Then cover the wood with tar paper and some left over shingles.

Or you could get a sheet of corrugated roofing and install that as a shed roof.

You want it to end up water tight and free from accumulated moisture. South facing would be nice, too.

I would put on a bright blue painted steel roof, and then paint the whole wood frame in a paisley blue-green-coral color scheme, just big wild swirls of color.

Possibly not everyone else would though
smile.png

Pat

The Red Color on the front at first glance reminded me of a Chinese building.
Maybe go with that theme. I've noticed that in pictures they do use a lot of red.
You can get things a lot of times for decorative effect from flea markets etc...

Foo Dogs at the four corners of the roof...

Chinese-building-2.jpg

Something like this you could use corrugated fiberglass roofing pointed downward to make the roof effect.
You can get spray on Vinyl/plastic type dye spray from the automotive section to give it a tan like color.

screen04.jpg

wall-pub.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom