My coop is ghetto ugly....Help! Pic.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by holliewould, May 17, 2008.

1. holliewould

holliewould Songster

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    This was gifted to me by the moving neighbors. It's 6 feet long, 4 ft wide and 4.5 ft high. I like things to be blingy and this is not doing it for me or the ladies that live in it. It's also an eyesore and my garden hates me. So I need to put on a roof to start. I have not the slightest idea how to build a roof. Now, I have tons of tools that I don't know how to use. I might be able to get some neighbors to help me depending on how much beer I can supply. Does anyone have some sort of instructions? I do know what a nail is, and I know what a screw is. How in the world do I build a roof? Oh, and I am in possession of a tape measure, drill, saw, and a hammer. Thanks for any help anyone can give me. Pics below.

[​IMG]

2. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Songster

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Well, can't see the top now--what is on top now? Is the roof (or where the roof should be) level, or slanted?

3. holliewould

holliewould Songster

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    It's level. I have a warped piece of plywood resting on top.

4. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Songster

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Why don't you just give it a paint job?

5. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Songster

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Need to get a slant on it. Higher in front than in back, so rain will run off. Perhaps a 2 X 6 set on edge along the front edge, then the plyboard (maybe not a warped piece?) and some tin or shingles on the plyboard to turn water. The slant should make the rain run off. Extend the roof out 6 inches or so past the walls on front and back. I am not a carpenter, tho. Where are some of you coop builders out there? Help us out.

6. I think it looks fine.

It's a coop, not a condo! [​IMG]

7. holliewould

holliewould Songster

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:Here is a pic of the top.

[​IMG]

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Buy some beer and get some handy men out to help (well thats what I would do)

9. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Songster

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Yes, definately need something on top that will shed water. What state are you in? I think you would need to put a solid back and at least one solid end on the coop, instead of just the wire, unless you are in a really hot climate, so the chickens will have some protection from wind, blowing rain, etc.

10. holliewould

holliewould Songster

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Oh it will get a paint job alright Linck. Little Sister, this coop cramps my style. It needs much work, starting with a roof.

So Judy, I'm on an island in south fla. I think I understand what you mean by putting the 2x6 up front to raise it. I actually think I get the idea. You are awesome, thanks for the idea. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: