1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My coop is just about done!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tls_ranch, Jan 19, 2010.

1. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

It's finally almost done with just some finishing touches left to do.

Here's a pic from the top of the hill

[​IMG]

We are going to add a removable panel to block the wind during winter. We are more concerened with the excessive heat we get durning the summer of 100+ degrees. But, even with driving rain and strong winds we've had here the chickens are staying dry and seem happy.

[​IMG]

I'm going to dig the temporary drainage trenches deeper and add a french drain to help divert any excess rain water. It normally shouldn't of been a problem, but we've gotten hit by some very heavy rain storms. I'm also going to add more sand and some paving stones near the access door and gate to fix the mud problem.

[​IMG]

My husband built a automatic pop door with a timer and solar charger out of a car power antenna motor. It worked great until my 4 year-old son decided to work on it himself. Until it gets fixed, I have to manually prop the pop door open in the mornings and shut it at night. Night predators are our worst threat here.

Thanks for looking!

2. Roy

Roy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Central Illinois
    that is a nice setup you've got there, good job!!

3. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Excellent :d

4. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Very, very nice! I love it!

5. SunshineSteedFarm

SunshineSteedFarm Seramatching Equestrian

Aug 18, 2009
    Georgia
    Very nice! [​IMG]

6. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

Thanks everyone! I've got a lot to do to make up to my husband. He worked so hard on it and he doesn't even like chickens [​IMG] ! Despite all the grumping and growling, He put alot of time and thought into the coop design and making the automatic door. He's now planning on a building me compost tumbler and pile area, potting bench and raised veggie garden! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Nice coop!!!! [​IMG]

Ya'll did a great job and I like the design. Looks like you're gonna be in debt for a while on that condo. [​IMG]

If you get a chance could you take a few more pics? Maybe some detail shots around the doors and window, also a couple of interior shots?

Are there doors on the screened side? I like the covered pop-door area...the wind/rain shields on the sides are nice. The removable panels...are you talking about covering the screened window or the open area on the pop-door side?

BTW, what's the dimensions of the coop and covered run?

Now, I won't ask any more questions....for now. [​IMG]

Good food for thought there! [​IMG]

Ed

8. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I think I see a coyote trying to sneak in the coop.[​IMG]

9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:<chuckle> I guess I should've asked about security cameras and motion lights, too, eh? [​IMG]

10. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    like your setup! Nice job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by