11 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
This is my Coop.

I put a sign out that says,
"Jardin des Poulets"
because I named my chickens after flower names.
This is our winter set up and it doesn't look very flowery right now.
Other than the pretty chickens.
D.gif

Here is the coop & run as I see it from the path I walk to get to it. Haybales around perimeter of coop for winter.

When you open the door this is what you see. Pop door is to the left behind the main door here. Windows on all other walls (3). Nest boxes with outdoor acces to the right. Roosts in the upper section of the coop.

Here's the pop door again. There's a branch above it that they never use. I need to just remove it. Duke is just walking in, Sylvia infront of him, Lily in the nest box. (she likes heights.)

As I turn my back to that wall you'll see this row of nest boxes that are accessible from the outside. They almost only use that one on the far right. Favorite one. Because of the smaller hole I think. (more privacy)

Here is Marigold in the corner nest box. There is a lip of wood on the bottom but my litter is deeper in the winter. So it's more of a walk right in deal. She just practiced there today. LOL. No egg from this girlie.

Here are the roosts. They are removable for cleaning, and so I don't bonk my head when I'm shoveling the litter out.

2x2 bracings that hold 2x4 roosts flat side up.

Here is the ladder to the roosts. It's a bit on the steep side but they've learned it well and I kind of think of it as a good exercise to get up. It blocks the heat lamp from being flapped on. Also heat lamp is on lower rafter...so in theory heat should rise to roost, not directly bake onto the chickens at night. It is attached to the rafter twice for security.

And this inside of the Run. You can see a squared off chute of sorts leading into the Run. To the left a perching ladder to get toes under feathers. Dusting Wash Tub full of sand, wood ashes, black powdery soil. More perching straight ahead. Bale of hay in the middle. This is their winter exercise arena. They don't like walking in the snow very much at all. They will probably use this next to never in the spring,summer, fall but nice just the same in case we vacation and have friends keep watch, of course.

That's pretty much it. Might add the summer tour to this thread when things are painted over and green grass is growing and flowers in the window box.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
wow thats so good! well done you! i love the nesting boxes i might try and copy those lol think your roosting perches would be too high for mine,i know you said they prob would be. i had roosts at about waist height in the run but they still choose to roost on top of the mini run i think cos its lower and they lazy!lol really lovely set up youve made there. lots of bits to keep them busy. ill have to add to my run some things for them to climb on. not a hay bale thou!!! lol think you know why!

Thank you so much Mark for looking and your kind compliments.

You can really do some cute things with nesting boxes, Shell. Probably much better than mine. I do like the outside access but I did buy that one inside that makes me have to step inside and check anyways. haha.

The Roosts: I started mine out with a little branch in their Brooder box from day one and they've always had a nack for a good perch. I think some enjoy flying up more than others. Breed related tendency I see in the Easter Eggers. That being said, after my problems they are too high and I know it. And now their comfort level is for that height. That's where the Fraidy cats like it. lol. Shell if you are starting Fresh go for the 18 inch mark. Make them removable for easy clean outs. I think getting them off of the shavings or bedding is a good thing though. Pooh reasons and like Bombie picking at bedding while nested down, perhaps. I've heard that if chickens are not used to Roosts they might have to be taught. But I don't think it's much to get them going. They feel more "secure" on them.

lau.gif
gig.gif
As I put that picture of the interior of the run in there. I thought to myself: "Shell is going to get the eebie Jeebies looking at all that hay and pine chips."
lau.gif
Please remember I got it super fluffy for a cold toe.
smile.png

lol! id love to have it all warm and fluffy it looks so cosy! but must admit a vision of bombie with a hay bale shaped crop did enter my mind when i saw it! tee hee!
were predicted snow tonight!! its only managed sleet so far but its so cold im guessing snows only a couple of hours away :( and bombies molting!!! she sure has a warped idea of funny!! lol
thanks for tips on roosts :) think they will love them cos they roost on top the run and never take themselves into the tiny coop. :)

Back
Top Bottom