My coturnix are hatching!!

NancyDz

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Dutch Flat, CA
jumpy.gif
:jumpy:jumpy

Today is day 17, I stopped turning on Tuesday and didnt hear or see movement the last couple days so I wasnt sure if anything would hatch or not. But this morning @ 6am, I woke up hearing some peeping. The incubator is about 10 feet away from me so at first I thought it was my 3 week old chicks in the next room but it sounded different. Sure enough I had one baby coturnix scrambling around the incubator!
wee.gif

I couldnt see any other pips , they are really hard to see on these eggs. I decided to go back to sleep as I got to bed really late. So I wake up at 8:30 and I have 3 more coturnix and one button chick! I'm really surprised about the button as I only put 3 eggs in and they were the first 3 eggs ever laid by my button pair. I actually sold them and their 4th egg was in the box when they went to their new home. I wasnt sure if they were fertile yet or not. Apparently at least one was! It's amazing how tiny the button is compared to the coturnix. My 3 week old chicken chicks look like Giants next to these chicks LOL

So total eggs that could hatch are 54 jumbo coturnix and 3 button. The coturnix came from Tori in Alaska.
Thanks Tori!
big_smile.png

Let me go upload a couple pics...

Nancy

Last edited:
Sorry not the best pics but it's amazing to see the size difference in the coturnix and button... and I thought the coturnix were small!

First Chick at 6am
16895_hatch.jpg

16895_hatch1.jpg

A few coturnix and one little button at 8:30am

16895_hatch2.jpg

Coturnix and button sleeping on an egg

16895_hatch3.jpg

So I'm up to 5 coturnix and one button now
smile.png

clap.gif
So how many are you up to now? Looks like your button might be a silver!
smile.png

celebrate.gif
Congratulations!!

7 total , I think I need to go back to sleep again hehehee that's when the most hatched. It is amazing you don't see pips and then all the sudden a chick is in there and the eggs close back up so its hard to find the shells sometimes! So 48 more coturnix possible and 2 more button .

Is it 12 hours that they can go without food and water? Just wondering when I should take any chicks out... if that's the case then I'll take some out this evening. Don't want to open it until
I have to.. the humidity is 70 and the temp is 101 right now....

If they're dry, I just reach in and quickly pull them out and put them in the brooder. If someone is actively zipping, though, I'll wait.
smile.png

fl.gif
c'mon babies!!

Back
Top Bottom