My cousin is afraid to eat fresh eggs

Just caught up with all the delightful answers to my post. Makes me realize how far I've come in the past year, from eating only storebought white shelled eggs to running out to the coop when I need an egg for a recipe and dashing back in with a warm egg "hot off the press." It is the most beautiful, thrilling, wondrous thing I have ever done, having these chickens. Love you all for sharing the experience with me!

I recently started eating my silkie eggs. I also had a hard time with it, as I just felt like I was betraying my hens for eating their young.....
I started by hardboiling some and adding them to my lettuce salads. My stomach was actually queasy the first time!

I got used to it once I realized how much better these eggs are compared to the ones in the store. They are great!

I also convinced myself that the hens didn't want them, and also wouldn't want me to waste them. It's true.....my hens have no interest in their eggs once they lay them.

Strange I know, but for someone who is sooooo attached to these birds.....it's hard. Sort of like eating your cat's kittens or something at first.

Call me weird.

I had a friend who was convinced white eggs had yellow yolks, brown eggs had deep orange yolks (from seeing our eggs), and blue eggs had purple yolks. Not sure where the purple came from.

Quote:
They are richer, I find. But since we're not hatching the eggs, why on earth shouldn't we eat them? Yummy. Also take into consideration that this is what chickens were BRED for. Eggs (and meat and show, but mostly eggs).

last summer my gandson wanted eggs for breakfast .. I made him "eggs" sunny side up.. 8 of them.. button quail eggs..
lau.gif
the plate looked like it had polka dots.. he ate them and liked them..

What I do is put the eggs in the container in the fridge and my boys think they are from the store. I tried explaining that our eggs are better but they think it's dirty even thu the egg shells are always clean since I clean the nest boxes every few days. I just smile and think Yeh smarty pants eat away

ya.gif
clap.gif
lau.gif

Tell them they are bad for them. Worst ever. Yuck.
Everyone I know wants fresh eggs and I can't keep up.
I never have enough for me.

I remember when I was in the military, we were eating powdered eggs that were laid before I was even born. They were always scrambled and had the taste and consistancy of sponge rubber.

When you are hungry, just about any egg taste good.

Rufus

Back
Top Bottom