My custom coop arrived and it was wrong :(

Yea
darn! I knew someone giving one away just when I needed the first henhouse and it never even dawned on me that I could put the hens in. :th
It's been great. We had 7 in there before we expanded but of course chicken math hit so we had to expand. It's now 8x10 and housing 11 hens 4 13 week olds and 4 3 week olds. We are definitely done for now but hopefully one day will get a bigger coop with more chickens of course 😂

Got an old popup blind.. or floorless tent in tatters.. You can't get more temporary than a cardboard box... not too worry anyway, if they are free to range. Your porch is where they'll roost.

that coop has got a lot of wasted space currently. What I would do is add more perching bars above the original perching bar going across. to fill that space. Means more chickens can sleep in it too. Laying boxes don't need to be anything fancy if it is temporary, just somethimg easily accessible. I have seen people use buckets.
I think it has plenty of ventilation. I wouldn't want to add any more, maybe just one vent at the top to prevent stale air building up there

that coop has got a lot of wasted space currently. What I would do is add more perching bars above the original perching bar going across. to fill that space. Means more chickens can sleep in it too. Laying boxes don't need to be anything fancy if it is temporary, just somethimg easily accessible. I have seen people use buckets.
I think it has plenty of ventilation. I wouldn't want to add any more, maybe just one vent at the top to prevent stale air building up there

A roost above the roost means chickens pooping on chickens.

That's a big no for me.

i know lol, I would not have designed it like that but as a temporary solution, let it rain some poop? I dunno, they have to sleep somewhere so as long as some solution is found.

i know lol, I would not have designed it like that but as a temporary solution, let it rain some poop? I dunno, they have to sleep somewhere so as long as some solution is found.
Honestly, good luck getting them to 1) figure out how to get to the top roost if you add it(chickens dont do well jumping straight up) and 2) going down the roost to allow room for the others. They dont understand to move down the line so everyone fits.

And I would never allow some chickens to get pooped on. That's horrible and causes cranky girls. I would rather set up a roost in a secure run that put them in that.

Back
Top Bottom