my darling gander bit my finger

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
aaaand for the first time ever it is bleeding (one drop)
he has been acting out recently
`-is this the time of year geese start sorting out who is going to be mate with whom for the new year?-`
does he think i am competition LOL
I only have the 1 gander and 1 goose

Where are you located? Here in Wisconsin I won't see any hormonal behaviors until after February. How old is he? This is why I don't get too close to mine unless I have to. They sure can pinch.
lets see - i got him and his sister as
1 day olds in may 0f 2020 - so around 3.5 years now.
I sit and play with them almost daily since they were tiny. He's only bit me once or twice before. Its not so bad.
It does seem early for him to be hormonal , he usually starts around Feb.
Perhaps he's been upset with me for a few changes around here - I was very sick and had 2 surgeries this fall, and had to have my daughters take care of the animals for a while. But now Im back. and oh Im in Maryland :)

lets see - i got him and his sister as
1 day olds in may 0f 2020 - so around 3.5 years now.
I sit and play with them almost daily since they were tiny. He's only bit me once or twice before. Its not so bad.
It does seem early for him to be hormonal , he usually starts around Feb.
Perhaps he's been upset with me for a few changes around here - I was very sick and had 2 surgeries this fall, and had to have my daughters take care of the animals for a while. But now Im back. and oh Im in Maryland :)
I don't do hands on with mine, so I guess I'm no actual help. Others do, so hopefully someone has a better idea than me. He is a mature gander. Hopefully he's just trying to test his relationship with you, and it isn't something he's going to continue. What breed is he?

I don't do hands on with mine, so I guess I'm no actual help. Others do, so hopefully someone has a better idea than me. He is a mature gander. Hopefully he's just trying to test his relationship with you, and it isn't something he's going to continue. What breed is he?
pilgrim! Charlie and Trudy -

Attachments

• F28058A7-1CE7-4852-8BE0-B3A91CC92DA0.jpeg
    F28058A7-1CE7-4852-8BE0-B3A91CC92DA0.jpeg
    689.6 KB · Views: 9
pilgrim! Charlie and Trudy -
My pilgrim gander was so very naughty. I'm trying another one this year with the hopes this one won't be a killer like the last one ended up being. He used to corner and kill chickens and ducks, along with his mate. Not sure if it's the breed or individual personality.

Mine started yesterday with a bang. Two all out brawls in a day, bad enough I had to break them up. This is around when it start with most of my flock every year. Parsnip usually gets spicy sometime around January though.

Yours could definitely be getting some hormones spiking @Jenbirdee and im sorry the little stinker got you that bad!

My pilgrim gander was so very naughty. I'm trying another one this year with the hopes this one won't be a killer like the last one ended up being. He used to corner and kill chickens and ducks, along with his mate. Not sure if it's the breed or individual personality.
i keep my geese separated from ducks and chickens, but one day during a hurricane, I had all the birds inside my basement garage room, with dividers to keep them separated, and the chickens jumped into the goose section. when I found them, the geese were in a corner by the gate , trying to escape from the chickens :lau
My 2 chickens are the bosses of my ducks too. They’re big and round English Orpington, and when they come running at my ducks , the ducks scatter like bowling pins 🎳 lol

i keep my geese separated from ducks and chickens, but one day during a hurricane, I had all the birds inside my basement garage room, with dividers to keep them separated, and the chickens jumped into the goose section. when I found them, the geese were in a corner by the gate , trying to escape from the chickens :lau
My 2 chickens are the bosses of my ducks too. They’re big and round English Orpington, and when they come running at my ducks , the ducks scatter like bowling pins 🎳 lol
My geese are kept with my goats but chickens and ducks can go in the area. They go in there more now, but still often get chased out by the geese. We have it where the chickens and ducks can get under or through fences and escape in most instances. I haven't had anyone killed since the pilgrim gander went in the freezer, but I have had to help out the young muscovy at times to get away from the geese. The geese rule the shed, and pasture here. Even the turkeys get chased when I let them out. Good thing I like the geese.

One of my ganders is afraid of my ducks, especially my little Truffle. It’s ridiculous! 😂

Back
Top Bottom