my darling gander bit my finger

This is my only fear of getting a gander
My Stella loves her mom and comes often to be pet and cuddled
This new gander from the second he came in my yard immediately took to Stella and hasn’t left her side
She is very close to a group of my ducks ( I think she thought she was a duck until this week )
I hope he doesn’t attack my ducks

I’m sorry you were Goose abused
Hopefully it was him just getting use to you being in charge again and won’t continue

the terrible horrible wound inflicted on me by the fluffbrain :lau

Attachments

• DABB2A0D-204A-4252-A150-0471A5F50165.jpeg
    DABB2A0D-204A-4252-A150-0471A5F50165.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 4
It sure is starting here... Two of my ganders that normally get on great started a scuffle the other day. The girls are honestly just as bad, yelling up a storm and egging them on from the sidelines. Oy. Mine at least seem more interested in fighting each other than fighting me. Never been bit, but I have gotten whacked in the head by a wing when breaking them up.

It sure is starting here... Two of my ganders that normally get on great started a scuffle the other day. The girls are honestly just as bad, yelling up a storm and egging them on from the sidelines. Oy. Mine at least seem more interested in fighting each other than fighting me. Never been bit, but I have gotten whacked in the head by a wing when breaking them up.
omg the wings are the most dangerous ! i read they can break bones! oouch!

omg the wings are the most dangerous ! i read they can break bones! oouch!
The wings are worse in my opinion. They won’t break bones but I got smacked in the back of the knee a few times once by my gander Leo while breaking up a fight and it‘s pretty ugly if they can get you in the same spot repeatedly. The whole back of my leg turned black and I couldn’t bend my knee completely for a few weeks.
For a small child I wouldn’t be surprised if a big gander could have the potential to break bone, but it depends on the gander, some hit harder than others.
I used to think Tula geese were awesome and wanted to figure out a way to import them because they’re said to be fairly docile, and when they fight they kinda just push back and forth with some swatting, so they‘re bloodless battles, but then later I heard that they’ve been selectively bred for stronger and stronger wings for greater impact with each generation….and I’m just thinking about what Leo, who wasn’t bred over generations to have a punch like Joe Frazier, did to my leg…and I’m like just because they’re not bleeding on the outside doesn’t mean they aren’t bleeding on the inside.

I got my knee bashed up last week because I tried to help a young goose figure out the goat door flap. I got flapped quite a few times before I got the goose through the door. Not sure if it learned anything, but I sure did. Wasn't bruised, but sure did hurt for a few days. I'm glad they can defend themselves, especially with all the predator problems I've had in the past 2 years.

i also got wing smacked once - on the back of my hand- and it swelled up into a big “goose egg” ( is that why they call it that?)
But Charlie didn’t mean it that time he was actually just fighting with the water hose, and I stupidly stuck my hand to pull it out of the pool.
But anyway, I spent some quality time with them today, singing and holding out their chew toys for them to gnaw on - I think- I may be accepted back into the flock

Got hissed at by 2 young ganders this week hissed back louder and made them back up, Weathers nuts they dont know if its breeding season or not but there determinedly practicing.. Got even! got in the barn for release in the morning holding the door and letting only one of the birds out at a time. Sometimes I just have to remind them they need to deal with me to be a flock. But I agree with all of you about wings. Lost my front tooth to little mama's wing. 12 pound goose. Been bit 2 times one was a runner duck who drew blood the other was little mama protecting her kiddos no blood but it stung.

I agree. The weather is causing confusion
Tonight stella was stuck in the ducks ( smaller ) dog crates they lay eggs in
When I got her out finally she started to move shavings like she was covering something up
Nothing was there but there was an egg in the crate she was in
A few days ago I saw her moving leaves and vines into a pile
She hasn’t laid eggs yet
But maybe getting her the gander has triggered something
Weather or gander I’m not ready for my girl to grow up 😆

Back
Top Bottom