My daughter can't drive, HELP

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by violetsky, Nov 7, 2011.

1. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    My 17 year old daughter just had her second accident. I followed her home
    after the accident and she cut off another driver. She went through driver's education, and is
    a straight A student taking classes like calculus and physics yet she is not
    coming close to learning to drive. No instincts or common sense are clicking
    in her brain. I saw that driving was not going to come easy and after driver's
    ed I paid an instructor, $100 a lesson. He did not come back for the third lesson
    and said he's never had a student like her and he has been in the business
    over ten years. It's like she is an idiot savant, or maybe like Einstein getting lost
    on campus. How am I going to send her off in the world without being able to
    drive. Her younger daughter has her learner's permit and is already a safe good driver.
    Has anyone dealt with this?

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    [​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I wouldnt keep letting her drive then, until you feel more safe with it.
    Other than more driving lessons, which costs too much money..
    .. maybe she can only drive with you or another adult in the car, so you can guide her and give her tips and help her more aware of her surroundings??
    But if it were myself, she wouldnt be doing anymore driving alone after 2 accidents and STILL cutting people off..not until she "gets it" a bit better..because she can not only kill herself, she can kill someone innocent also...

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Yep. I would not let her drive. Maybe she is too distracted in her life right now.
    Is she under alot of stress??

5. dela1991

dela1991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Delaware
    I had the same problem with my twin sons. They are now 28 and are decent drivers but at 16 they were scary. Kinda the same thing as with your daughter. Very bright but you wonder what they are thinking. I wondered if their brains were just way ahead of their bodies. They both also had a terrible sense of direction. Didn't even know how to get to their school when they first drove themselves. I guess they never watched where the bus was going. And like your younger one, my youngest son could drive at 16 like he had been driving all of his life.

The terrible drivers are now Ivy educated lawyers and my youngest is a pizza maker. I don't know if there is a correlation.

I hope things get better for you as I know that it can be scary when they first go out on their own in the car.

6. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Get her a bicycle.

7. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

OMG, that just reminded me of the movie Clueless... Some people just can not operate heavy machinery. Heck, Einstien couldn't even tie his shoes...

8. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I had the same problem.

Tell your daughter that she is driving a weapon of mass destruction. Putting it in terminology that her mind (which sounds brilliant) can relate to may help.

If she is anything like my children, she is working out the problems of her day while behind the wheel. Her mind never shuts off. She thinks of driving as one of those things that she can "go through the motions" and do well. Until she understands that driving is worth her time and attention, she will continue to be a danger on the road.

9. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Hopefully you live in a place with available public transportation?

10. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Our daughter had 3.....4......??? wrecks and survived them all. I wish our vehicles had.

NO radio.
    NO cell phone.
    NO friends in car.
    NO fast driving.

Some teenagers are just doofus. Their brains are short wired to screw up, not pay attention..............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by