My daughters Pre-K class are hatching chicks..

Momagain1

Songster
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Central IL
and ummm..I get them all...and the person who was going to take them..well..they fell through...

so I already have 33 2 1/2 months old..

coop is ALMOST done...should be done next wk...my BIL is supposed to come over
to help put the run up...

the hatching should take place about May 9th...I have NO clue what type they are...
but all I know is that the candling shown 35 fertile eggs...

honestly; will there be 35 chicks then?? stupid question?? or just cause its fertile does it mean they
all will/wont hatch?

anyone?? help!!!

Well... most classroom hatches don't go all that well, so I doubt you'll have a full 36 chicks! Unless of course this teacher has done it so many times already they know how to make it happen. Class hatches are always a challenge to have complete success with. Too many variables. If they are only in the first week, I'd say you'd maybe have a dozen. I've helped out on class hatches where there were two sets of 24 eggs and in the end, they still had 0 chicks to show for it. Reason being, turned out weekend heating is shut off and the incubators could not keep up heating.

there's a good chance not all will hatch.

murphy's law though says they all will, simply because you're worried about it.
big_smile.png

Quote:
the teacher lives in town and goes and turns the eggs lol in one classroom...the heat is always on..and the other rooms incubator uses one that turns automaticaLLY

but yeah..murphys law lolol...

My son's 2nd grade class is on day 21 and out of 35 eggs, we have had 14 hatch....but when I left today more were pipping and zipping....sooo tomorrow will be the deciding factor. I let them borrow my incubator which is a self heating one and I also had a automatic egg turner. But I have done this with a couple of classes so far and of course most were 1st graders/2nd graders...and they just loved it!! Today the kids actually saw 2 chicks pip,zip and hatch all the way out! what a learning experience!

Good luck to you! Even though I had the automatic turner and the self heating incubator...I still will get 60-70% hatches instead of 100% because the humidity is a deciding factor too.

Enjoy~

Back
Top Bottom