My Delawares...they're all grown up.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shelleyb1969, Nov 30, 2008.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I finally got the time to get some pics uploaded. These pics are of my chicks that hatched Friday night and yesterday. I got 11 Delaware chicks out of 16 eggs, and 4 Delahorn chicks (Delaware/Leghorn cross) out of 5 eggs. So fantastic results, I think, for shipped eggs. These eggs were shipped UPS from csibb. I highly recommend her stock and her packing/shipping method to anyone wanting to hatch some of these beautiful birds. Her Delawares are just gorgeous, as well as her Leghorns.

The black chicks in these pics are 2 black australorp pullets (from Ideal Hatchery) and 1 black sex link pullet (given to me by my dear friend Miss_Jayne, but originally came from Ideal Hatchery as well).

All 18 of my chicks are doing wonderful. They got lots of rest last night and today, so tonight they're all up and running about...enjoying their new freedom from their eggs. Hope you enjoy the pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    wowzers! those are some big babies!

they are just gorgeous! Hey, Ferb...I know what we're going to do today.....
    hatching babies!

I'm telling MOMMMMM! Mommmmm! Ferb is building a giant hatcher in the office!

p.s. Dolly Parton is already laying eggs....

3. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Wow the chick looks cute and big for whwn born..so cute...[​IMG]

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    aren't they ginormous! oooooh....only a few days until mine pop! Shelley! you're making me jealous!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How many little roos do you think you have in the bunch.

Great that Dellies are a good dual purpose breed.

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Great job. Take a bow.

7. csibb

csibb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Sault Ste Marie Michigan
    [​IMG] Oh my goodness, It is hard to believe it was only a month ago that mine all looked like that!! how perfect! You did a great job Shelley! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

[​IMG] Awwwww, thanks everbody. I'm rather proud of them. Now that I'm sitting here looking at them at only 1 day old, they do look pretty big. Some of them aren't much smaller than the 6 day old australorp chicks. [​IMG]

Csibb, I'm gonna need your help as they get older to figure out which is which. I checked underneath the wings today, and only 1 of them has the greyish/black tint, and it's the one with the black stripe on "her" head! All of the rest of them are solid yellow! [​IMG]

And Opa, I simply cannot wait to hatch some of your Welsummers. And from the looks of it, I'm definitely gonna have a few Dellies for you...if you would like them.

I'm on my way to getting a super nice flock of beautiful ladies!...and a gentleman or two. [​IMG]

9. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Oh! Aren't they adorable! I love my Delaware girls. They are such a lovely breed.

When mine developed the feathers seem to change colors as they grow. Like they start off white, then get the black/gray.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I just love it when they all fall asleep all over the brooder like that. Mine sleep in a pile most of the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by