my destroyed yard

I thought I had things all worked out ... thenthe chickens figured out that those red things hanging on the vines were the same as the damaged tomatos we were putting in their run. It took us a few days to figure out what was eating tomatos from the bottom up and leaving the top third on the vine.

Then I got the German Shepherd Dog to keep the chickens out of the garden ... problem was, he either was not very dilligent about it, or he'd be over the top in doing his duty, and run through the garden baying like a hound and that was more of a risk to the garden than the chickens were.

This year I think I'll just put some plastic fencing up around the garden when the chickens are out and I've got seedlings or tomatos. I haven't managed to talk my wife into a picket fence around the garden as of yet.

Quote:
We've done that, too! Put them in temporary fencing in a section of the lawn that was full of weeds and needs replanting. They got it cleaned up and ready for re-seeding.

Also, like Rhoda_Bruce, I let them in sections of the garden between plantings, for clean-up and fertilization.

Near as I can tell, the only way to battle blackberry bushes is a flock of ducks and chickens! We haven't had to hack back the blackberry bushes since we got them, before it was a four to six times a year job that drove dear hubby nuts. He also enjoys not having to mow!

I garden in the front yard, just easier since the little feathered darlings can't get through the fence.

Here is what I want to plant in my garden,
Tomatoes
Pepper/red/orange/yellow/green
Popcorn
Onion regular
green onions
corn
pumpkins
squash
Zucchini
Strawberry's
Raspberries
Leaf lettuce
sunflowers
cucumbers
then planed on making a herb garden in or on window sills

is there anything that I want to plant that if the chickens where to get into the garden make them sick or be deathly to them I am new to chickens and want to make sure I do things right any information and advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated. thank you

I can't speak of the raspberries, because I never did that, but for the most part, all your garden selections look safe. I would say, almost everything is safe, except for some very particular plants in the bush and flower varieties. Your self-sufficient farm types are pretty much safe for humans and animals.

Thank you have not gotten plans for garden completed yet but I know that I want grow as much of our food as I can, I live in town right now but I am working on getting a farm where I can raise all or almost all our food, thanks for the impute.

Quote:
I don't know how big your garden will be but you can't plant popcorn and regular corn near each other or they will cross-pollinate (I found out the hard way). I don't recall how far apart they need to be but I'm sure you could find info on the web somewhere, or someone else here might know).

Thank you I did not know about the corn and popcorn I was thinking of planting the popcorn in the front yard, since I am going to be getting different types, the colored and non-colored. so I will need to plant the regular corn in another part of the yard, thanks for the advice I am new to gardening to just starting out, so I will see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom