My DH has joined the rave!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Must Be Losing It, May 20, 2008.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    My husband, after watching me sweat several hatches has joined the ranks of us nuts!

I gave him my first incubator and he's modified it to run more effectively and had me order quail eggs for him.

So given he's a newbie I assumed he'd start slow. Not a chance. He filled an entire egg turner w/ quail eggs - all 120 of them.

Someone please tell me the hatch rate stinks on quail!!!!!

2. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] and to the world of poultry, my quail i get almost 100% on them..they are bobwhite type..

You better get a big brooder as they are very picky about space once hitting about 3 weeks old somtimes sooner and within 2 weeks they will be a flying like theres no tomorrow..

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

If your have the same luck as wilds of pa you will be drowning in quail! [​IMG] [​IMG] So good luck (I think [​IMG] [​IMG])
  4. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Oh yeah, my experience is the same. Those little devils pop out of there like popcorn [​IMG]
  5. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    You are absolutely killing me!!!

120 peeping little babies!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  6. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Just be sure to tell him to open the bator CAREFULLY and be prepared for darting, zipping little hard-to-catch balls of fluff because they hit the ground running. Oh, and they HOP incredibly high, have fun! Baby quail are really adorable tho... [​IMG]
  7. nutmeggie

nutmeggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    hehe.. Have fun with them. I can't wait until my guy gets his quail. Although he is only getting a few.... I would love a ton of birds if I had the room. What type of quail? My guy is planning on getting bobwhite quail.
  8. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    They're Northern Bobwhites. But here's another question. I read somewhere that the incubation is 16 to 17 days, but I just found several other references to 23 to 24 days. Does anyone know which it is?

J [​IMG]
  9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    LOL I think my hubby might be the same... He's more excited than I am for the upcoming hatch... in his words exactly 'Oh awesome! I'll be off that night! I can't wait to see them hatch!'... Mr. OhIdontCareAboutChickens... yeah ok... LOL
  10. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    My hubby is getting a few ring neck pheasant...I'm hoping he will catch the bug also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by