My DIY breeder and grow out quail pen/coop.

FloorCandy

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
I’ve been working on this in my free time, when it didn’t rain for the last couple weeks lol. All together it would cost about $85, but I had some of the stuff. I’m pretty happy with the result. I separated out a breeder group so I can keep track of lineage in future generations and they seem happy in the new pen. Red was crowing constantly, I moved him and 3 ladies in, and he stopped his noise :)
C7C23A94-D775-4C08-ACC5-D6F486B61F3F.jpeg
7B31B89E-D6C0-467F-85CF-9663C03A281F.jpeg
CE99BD78-2E52-4E2F-9ABE-B4DB1DE29218.jpeg
BAA32BA3-5BBC-4CB4-8249-ED89CEDC439F.jpeg

The pen is 3x3 feet, and the bin adds about 2 more feet, I think this will provide plenty of space for both purposes of breeder pen and grow out pen. Also it’s nice to have a backup I can toss everyone in if needed because the main pen is kind of rickety. There’s wire on the bottom so nothing can reach under, they can still get bugs and grass, but I can also drag it around so they don’t kill the grass.

Looks great! Wish I was that creative ;)I don't think the handles on the bin lid are sufficient to keep raccoons out. Maybe you need some sort of latch there. Also, will there be shade provided? One more thing, those plastic bins heat up very fast. Once I had one in my chicken enclosure and a hen flew up on the side, tipping it over, and got stuck under it. She sadly succumbed to heat although she had only been there several hours :( Maybe ventilation would help!

Looks great! Wish I was that creative ;)I don't think the handles on the bin lid are sufficient to keep raccoons out. Maybe you need some sort of latch there. Also, will there be shade provided? One more thing, those plastic bins heat up very fast. Once I had one in my chicken enclosure and a hen flew up on the side, tipping it over, and got stuck under it. She sadly succumbed to heat although she had only been there several hours :( Maybe ventilation would help!
They have a tarp that goes on top, and I have a bungee around the bin once they’re in. My only real predators are cats and hawks. 1/3 of the side of the bin is removed so it gets plenty of ventilation, and it’s bolted to the mesh so it can’t tip and trap anyone, but ty for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom