My DIY brooder boxes

FATHERFORD

Chirping
Feb 21, 2018
Houston Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Long story short I bought my first one, then decided to build my second one and sell my first one.

My first one is something our local feed store sells. I bought it out of laziness and figured it was big enough because I was "only" getting 6 chicks. It's a simple design with an open bottom the chicks walk on. You can put a bag around the bottom with shavings for easy clean up. Keeps the mess down while they were in the garage at the grandparents house.

Spouse and I stopped by the feed store and purchased 7 more chicks. I realized that the 4'x2' would be to small in few weeks. So using the basics of the first coupe I bought I built one twice as big, and slightly more sturdier. Now the nearly 3-4 week old chicks have a lot more room to run around when put up.

I plan on putting a divider in there to cut it in half when we get smaller chicks again. Then expand as they get bigger.

Ashley McDaniel

Songster
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Nice job! I've been looking up some different ideas/DIY brooders for the hubby and I to build, and I really like your design. We have 3, 10 day old chicks, and are awaiting our incubator to arrive now to hatch our own chickens, so a bigger brooder would be more realistic than the current one we are using. Thanks for posting the pics.

Top Bottom