my doe just had a baby, but I think something is not right.

natyvidal

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Dade City, Florida
CC13CC27-8403-4291-89B8-1DB0E51A35D8.jpeg
96FB295C-6FCC-48D8-8C12-3B2D902A1744.jpeg
First picture is Greta: kid born 12/24
2nd: picture is Glenda: kid born 12 /26
My Nigerian dwarf doe, Greta, delivered a baby today. I didn’t expect it to happen for at least 10 days so it took me by surprise! (Not ready)

Everything seems to be ok, she is behaving normal toward the baby and so on.

My preoccupation is that I keep checking her udder and teats and there doesn’t seem to be any colostrum or milk in them. The udder is big and ballooned. The baby is trying to nurse but after a few seconds he seems to get discouraged.

Otherwise he seems to be ok. Walks around. Explores. Sits a lot.

I did have a different doe, Glenda, give birth to another kid Christmas Eve and that baby is jumping and thriving. Seen him nursing also. Is she still giving him colostrum? If Greta’s milk doesn’t come down, can I give her kid milk from Glenda? Will that work?

Other questions! Do I need to take the babies away from the mothers? Early? I really do not need their milk. I was planning to allow them to keep their babies.

Is he kind of head butting her udder when nursing? Can you milk her a bit yourself? If not she may take a day or so to catch up if he was early. If so it can mean the issue is with his nursing. Check his mouth for an odd bite (overbite, etc.) Or cleft palate where he has an opening in the roof of his mouth. Both can make it harder for him to nurse and stop before he has the milk letting down.

See if you can get a few drops of milk out of her teats. If not, try to milk the other mama and bottle feed it to him. If you don’t have a bottle, dip a rag in the colostrum and let him suck on it. Colostrum will dribble into his little throat.

I don’t know a lot about goats in particular, but I do know it’s important that a newborn and especially a premie receive nutrition as soon as possible following birth. Human babies typically don’t get a LOT, but they must have SOME, especially the colostrum that comes first.

I believe in a situation like this you are likely to have a bottle baby on your hands unless his mommy’s milk comes pretty darn quick.

I just came in from checking them again. He seems to be trying to nurse. This time more than just a few seconds. And his bottom was dirty. He is walking around. I checked mom teats and after pressing a bit hard some white liquid was present in the orifice. He seemed alert and active.

Tomorrow I’ll check his mouth to make sure he is ok. But if he has one of those thugs you mentioned...what can I do about it?

He may be taking all the milk she has. How does his tummy feel? It is very important that babies get colostrum. It protects them for months. There are colostrum substitutes on the market and it pays to have some on hand. You can freeze colostrum and keep it for emergencies. I used to give my kids good quality cow colostrum. Some may say that is not a good idea but it worked for us. BTW, if you give a kid milk before it gets colostrum, it will not be able to absorb the antibodies in the colostrum.

Thank you. I love to be alerted the baby goats. They are beautiful and Mom looks so proud
@cassie yes right on the colostrum. It is soooo important. You could try to get her to milk off of the other one but I tried that once and I think that's the reason they don't get along so well now. Mine was fine with giving her babies milk she was not having any part of sharing her milk with any kids that weren't hers. Just like Cassie said feel the belly to tell if she's had enough.
Are you able to get any milk out of the mom? Even if the baby doesn't get it it's not good for the milk to stay in her like that so if you're able to milk her and at least get that out of her that would help prevent more problems How does mom's bag feel?

Last edited:
4B6A5113-A3A7-4413-932C-79273D7AE545.png
A4BB2F0B-1281-45B8-BCB2-BE02C7C43CD4.jpeg
Good news everyone! Both does are wonderful momies and babies are thriving. Tummies full and happy and jumping around! ❤️
Thank you one and all for all your advice! Phew!!! This was my first time for me as a “midwife” to my girls I’ve read so much about what could go wrong I was so worried! Especially since I was not ready for the births one after another. Here are two pictures of the does and kids! I am so proud of my does!

Back
Top Bottom