My dog and my chickens don't get along.

Training, training and more training. Outside of that keep one in while the other is out.

My dogs (pitbulls) started out well trained when I got my ducks, the chickens were never an issue since they were introduced while the chickens were still in the brooder. In my hands with a leave it and mine command.

I personally would never attempt to train a terrier around chickens. I am somewhat of a patient person but nowhere that much so. I would rather train a team chickens to pull a plow.
smile.png

yuckyuck.gif

I have a small terrier that is chicken friendly. I started training her when the chicks were a day old. She has grown to protect them. I trained her with a lot of patience and consistency. It took quite a while, but her brain eventually overrode her chase instinct.

Unless you have the time and patience for many long training sessions, you should keep them strictly apart. The chickens will always come off as loosers in any encounter. Some dogs just can't help but chase the fluffy noisy things - and chase them until they are dead. Terriers were developed to be deadly killers, so it will take a lot of vigilence on your part to protect your chickens, unless they are behind a fence. Good luck!

Terriers are highly prey driven so yes management is the first step. You don't want your dog to practice barking and chasing the chickens because he/she will get better at it and it could escalate. I would recommend a clicker. They can be found at any pet store for a buck or two. Here is a very information website on clicker training:

http://www.clickertraining.com/

Start at a distance great enough to be safe for your chickens and far enough away for your dog to remain calm. You may want your dog on leash. Have a pocket full of high value treats and click and treat any calm behavior your dog offers when seeing the chickens. Some big ones to look for:

ground sniffing
head turns
yawn
Big blinks
a sit or down

Gradually you can try bringing them closer together. If the dog looses it increase the distance again. You may never have a dog that will lie idle as your chickens walk by but hopefully you can minimize stress to your chickens and yourself!

I would rather train a team chickens to pull a plow.
smile.png

yuckyuck.gif

I agree, keep them separate. That's the easiest, least time consuming way to ensure your chickens don't end up as big dog toys. Dog toys are only fun as long as they squeak, then off to find a new one...pretty soon, no more chickens!

I trust my girls unsupervised with the chickens and ducks. Training is key. If you start with a dog that is trained to begin with it honestly doesn't take Amy time at all to get to this point. No one remembers a stupid untrained laborador, but everyone remembers a stupid, untrained pit bull. Please, take the time to train your dog, no matter what the breed, everyone benefits from it.

Back
Top Bottom