my dog bit my friend---should I put him down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuppyBantamCochin

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Okay....I know this isn't a dog forum, but I wondered if anybody has advice on what we should do about our dog.
He is a 2.5yo, chow/lab ?? mix. He's a strong, stubborn, independent dog, but he's very sensitive at times.
Ever since we got him, as a 10wk old pup, he has been standoffish and aloof towards people. That is....he stayed like that till 3-4months till he started snapping (really snapping) and barkingat people when we took him out. About a month ago, someone trespassed on our property and he got out and started chasing the person. The guy ran down the street and we caught our dog. The next day someone who knew this guy called saying that our dog bit him. We don't know, really, but luckily, they decided not to make a big fuss about it.
A couple days ago, a friend who was staying at our house for a few days, came inside without knocking and while the dogs were loose in the house and this dog, ''attacked'' her; bit our friend on the finger and on the leg. They weren't really bad bites, but she was really scared and upset. My mom wants to put the dog down before he bites anybody else and gets us in real trouble (and w/a lawsuit). I don't want to give him away because he might get someone else bitten. What do you guys think?
He's never shown aggression towards us, but having a dog around that could hurt someone if he got out isn't exactly fun.

Thanks!

I would put him down..
I'm sorry.
sad.png

Chows tend to be that way. I had a schnauzer that started doing the same thing. Then he attacked my other dogs and started biting them too. He was only 5 and absolutely beautiful. I eventually had him put down because I just couldn't re-home an aggressive dog. All the other dogs got to a point where they were just terrified around this bully too. I don't know why he started getting so aggressive. I got him when he was 5 months old and had him neutered immediately. Alot of people told me schnauzers can be aggressive, but I always think each dog has it's own personallity but in this case it turned out he was an aggressive schnauzer. I spoke to my vet about it too and even he felt that putting him down was a better option than re-homing.

Best of luck to you. I hope you can come to a decision. I know how hard it is to make choices like this.
sad.png

we had a similar situation in our yard about a week ago. a dog who decided to adopt our family bit me when i was trying to chase her away from my chickens. we had to put her down:( we have a 20 month old little boy and cant have an aggressive dog around. i feel for you because its not easy but safety of our loved ones had to come first

I would put him down.
hmm.png
Once a dog starts biting people, it can become a habit and they'll keep doing it. I've been bitten by a close friend's dog, and it's scary to go over there because I'm afraid of the dog. Aggressive dogs aren't fun for anyone.

I'm sorry.
sad.png

I know you're family will be upset for a while after putting the dog down...but you'll feel bad forever if he seriously hurts someone, especially if it happens to be a child...
hugs.gif

there is no place for a dog like that...he will end up hurting someone...I would euthanize him...there are many good ones out there who need homes...the liability you are flirting with is not something you want...in my world he is gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom