my dog bit my friend---should I put him down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Killing your dog is a hard thing to do. A couple months ago, my neighbor took in a bull mastiff that had only bit a couple of people. Then he bit a couple more kids who were teasing him. Then he mauled a beautiful seven year old girl and she needed 257 stitches in her face and she will always wear this scar. This all happened because they just wanted to do the nice thing. He was such a pretty dog too. There are so many good dogs and puppies who need a home. I'm sorry about your dog, I hope this doesn't happen to you.

Since he's been a snapper as a pup he will continue to escalate unless you take measures to keep him away from people.

Either keep the dog properly restrained or euthanize him.

I think you should put him down. No sense in giving him or keeping him because he'll get someone hurt sooner or later. And I'm sure you know what a pound would do. I have a dog that used to snap at people like that and chase them.....put A LOT of money, work and time into her and she has turned into the best dog I've ever had and all so my BFF!!!! People thought we were crazy putting so much money and time into her.....but I did prove them wrong! That being said I do want to gently let you know that she was not as bad as your dog. Sounds kinda mean...but it is the truth. If you've taken him to lots of classes and worked with him and now he is still a danger its time for your puppy to go to heaven. So sorry! I've been in that situation and I know it is HARD!!!!! good luck!
hugs.gif

If I was you I would definitely not give the dog away. That is just giving the problem to some one else. And the dog is going to be in a new environment with new people and more scared and more likely to bite some one if you give it away. If you feel you are not able to control to dog putting it down would be the best option for everyone. If you feel you can work with the dog I say go for it. You should probly stay crating the dog whenever you are not home. To ensure the dog isn't getting out or going after people. Also possibly baby gating off rooms in the house for the dog to stay in, that keep him away from the main entrance to the house might be a good idea.
Best of luck in which ever you choose. Sadly chows can be very protective of their owners and their home. It's just their nature. Which can also be their down fall.

hugs.gif
I'm sure it's a tough situation, but think of it as an opportunity to rescue another more deserving dog from the pound that would otherwise be put down.

Quote:
Yes, and unfortunately, being in the veterinary field, I have witnessed several chows that have had to be put down because aggression toward others and protectiveness escalated into them turning on their owners...

Chow mixes can have a tendency to be agressive, but before you send it to the "Big ranch in the sky" try some rehabilitating. Get a muzzle, & have everyone you know come over for a rehabilitation party. The object is to give the dog more petting in one day by strangers than it's had it's whole life. It should eventually give in. It will get overwhelmed at first, but should submit to it.

My vote is to put him down, the consequences of further aggression is something you'd always regret. Let alone the fiscal responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom