my dog bit my friend---should I put him down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The OP's dog sounds dangerous to me. Plus, after reading the post by the OP several times I think that if they were going to do something about the dogs behavior they would have done it when the dog first started displaying the abnormal fear responses when it was a puppy. I try and take into account all information provided when giving an opinion on a dog, its temperament, and what a person should do about it. Sometimes I might tell one person one thing and another person another thing. I do this because I am trying to help the person based on the relationship they have with the dog.

Given the details in this case, I doubt the OP's parents are going to put up with the behavior or be very successful in rehabing the dogs aggression. This is a child who asked for opinions and the parents are already talking PTS. I really believe that is what should happen.

I agree with Jaime, put the dog down is much more humane than having someone who would be horribly disfigured by your dog. I think the parents got the right decision on hand.

Quote:
Ditto.

It is so hard, sometimes, telling people that the dog behaves one way because of their relationship with it.

Quote:
Yes, and unfortunately, being in the veterinary field, I have witnessed several chows that have had to be put down because aggression toward others and protectiveness escalated into them turning on their owners...

A lot of the time it's preventable with proper socialization and training from a young age
sad.png
I really hate when I see dogs-chows, Shepherds, Huskies, Malamutes, Pit Bulls, Rotties, Dobermans, etc.- have to be put down because they get so out of control. Eventually, even a dog that started out as a perfectly normal puppy gets so tangled up in the head that theres just no stopping them anymore.

With dogs like this, I recommend putting him or her down, as hard as it is. At this point, it would likely require a talented trainer and a muzzle for the rest of his life. The dog would likely never be normal, or be able to be trusted with other people.

If you don't want to put down your dog, you need to muzzle him immediately. Knocking down and barking/growling/acting aggressive is all he can do then, versus ripping someones face off or throat out. I would recommend a basket muzzle, which allows the dog to pant and bark freely. Food and water should be strictly controlled and the dog should only be fed in a quite room, in a manner where he can be easily brought back into control if aggression should start. Everything needs to be on a schedule. Obedience training should also start right now. You will need to be firm, but not aggressive. Do not provoke the dog, but establish your place as leader.
Daily work is required. You need to be the alpha.

With some dogs, not even proper training and socializing helps. Sometimes dogs just snap, like what Wifezilla said. One day, a loving pet, the other a biting monster. Considering this dog has done it since a young age, I think it's more improper training/environment/socialization.

I would personally never consider this dog to be safe. Your either looking at a life of routine, training, and muzzling, or putting him down. I would consider putting him to sleep more humane in this case. I would also consider getting a more docile and easily cared for pet, such as a fish or a rabbit.

Another time we were putting up christmas ornaments and my friend who was sitting on the couch stood up quickly to hand a hook to me and he flattened her back down and bit through her lip. He's actually the most obedient and friendly dog I've ever been around.

Sorry, these are NOT the actions of a TRAINED dog. These are the actions of a completely UNTRAINED animal.

I have schutzhund dogs. Which is to say ATTACK-TRAINED dogs. They will rip you a new one....ON COMMAND only and not when some poor hapless visitor happens to move the wrong way. They are under my control at all times. No visitor in my home ever need fear for his life the way your visitors must. IMO you are deluding yourself if you really think you have any control over this animal at all. He has simply taught YOU to respond to HIS cues and not the other way around. Anyone can take food out of my dogs mouths at any time....right up to the moment I tell them otherwise. That is the difference between a trained and an untrained animal. The trained animal is always alert but it would never occur to him to make an aggressive move without a specific, deliberate command from his handler. Anything else is just an untrained fear-biter or flat out aggressive (and unsafe) animal in DESPERATE need of some real training and discipline.

JMO

Rusty

(edited because I cannot spell
roll.png
)​

Last edited:
Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree. I would have had him euthanized after the first time he chased someone aggressively or bit them.

Another time we were putting up christmas ornaments and my friend who was sitting on the couch stood up quickly to hand a hook to me and he flattened her back down and bit through her lip. He's actually the most obedient and friendly dog I've ever been around.

I was just going to post what Rusty above did. This was a guest in your house and your dog bit them in the face?! Not a trained dog, he wasn't told to do it, did it on his own, if it were me, I would own your home and everything else you had worked for.

Agree with everyone else, the op's dog has mental stability issues, just put it down.

Put him down.

This animal is obviously not happy or comfortable with other people, which could ruin your own socialization. Putting him in an increasingly uncomfortable situation does not seem like it would be very humane for him as well as possibly very painful for the people you are attempting to socialize him with.

It will be very painful for you, but you need to think about others in this instance. If your dog should happen to escape you, even with training, and bite someone or even maim someone (child), you will be facing charges, fines as well as your own inner guilt because you could have prevented the anguish.

I have 2 female American Bulldogs, I also have 5 children who are around them daily if there was any ounce of aggression I would put my dog down in a heart beat.

When I was 5 years old I was mauled by a GS , he was a family pet but was kept out side. He bit me in my face, under my arms, on my stomach and he dragged my body behind a rock and was just biting me, but I wasn't screaming or anything I could hear people around me screaming it was like I was in a tunnel and every voice was echoing and the growls of the dog was echoing too.

I never want my child or any child to go through this , people have got to start training their dogs...if you want one then its your responsibility.

I remember every second of that event it will never leave my mind.
It taught me a few lessons thought.......I think if a dog is lunging at someone and you know it isn't puppy play any more then you fix the situation once it gets out of hand its to late.

Put that dog down maybe he is in pain but you don't realize it.

thats just my 2 cents.......

Chows have a mind of their own and require a lot of training and socialization to be friendly with strangers.

Chows and Shar-Peis are aloof and standoffish with strangers by nature. And yes, there is a lot of Chow in Shar-Peis. It is even in the breed standard. A second consideration for this behavior is their eyesight. The eyes are set back into the head and even if they don't have entropia they still have a hard time seeing movement from certain directions. These two things can make for a dog that will bite.
Be aware of this and if you keep the dog don't let it be in a situation where it is going to defend it's house or property unless it's someone causing you harm. They are property protectors, not personal protectors. This is where people get confused about the dogs being vicous. They aren't so much out of control as they are thinking for themselves in situations where they are alone and feel the need to protect the house or property.
These dogs are clearly not for everyone. I had a chow/shep for many many years and he did bruise bite a couple of people. He never turned vicious or got out of hand attacking everyone. But, I understood the breed and acted accordingly in situations when I had none family members at my house. He was never permitted to run free and he was put away when people came to visit. I lived in some tough areas and I needed the protection. He was well suited for that.
One winter my car was stuck in a snow bank. Three men came to assist me...supposedly. They got behind my car and at each of the front 2 doors. My dog was sleeping on the back seat and they didn't see him because of the snow on the windows. All at once they opened both of my doors....one reaching inside for my purse the other grabbing me. Poco came over the back seat and grabbed the arm of the man holding me. The man actually started closing the door on his own arm trying to get the dog off of him.
I don't know what would have happened had the dog not been with me. I suspect they just wanted to pull me out of the car to steal it.
Just either be aware of the dogs natural behavior for the breed type and contain him or put him down if you feel you aren't able to do that. Or find him a home with people well versed in Chows that know the situation and will know how to take care of it.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom